Victoria Mill... Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a mill soon. I don't have a big budget for this, I actually don't want an expensive one yet as I won't be grinding more than a pound or two at a time (still doing extract, wont move up to AG for at least a year). I hear corona/victoria mills are great with a bit of modification. Anyone have this one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5NZ4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
i have one. they work. just gotta dial in the crush juuuuuuust right. Take a few handfuls of grain and crush until it suits you.

FWIW...i saw Sam and crew from Dogfish Head using the very same mill.

Yeah, I used that same one for years. I still have it and use it as a backup.
As fineexampl says, it'll take some adjusting but for your application, there's no reason to spend any more.

they work fine...a little finagling to get the plates parallel and you're golden. no matter if you're talking a couple of pounds or a dozen.

agree aswell. I found one on ebay for 20 bucks free shipping brand new. Does take some fine tunning and it gets the job done!!

How do you clean them and do you need too? Just take apart and wash with soap and water? Never mind just seen some threads. Just hope that lopsidedness goes away when turning after going at it, i noticed at first it had a gap on one side and closer on the other, so hopefully adjusting it will work after messing with it, because if its going to only crush 3/4 of my grain,im gonna be annoyed.hmm.

I haven't cleaned mine yet, but I've only done four ag batches with it. I think a lot of people just spray them off and make sure they're dry to prevent rusting. As far as the lopsidedness goes, I took the plate off and propped some folded up paper in there to make it a bit more even. I've been getting some great efficiencies with this thing, so just fiddle around with it until it works like you want to. For 20 bucks you're not going to get a perfectly crafted piece of machinery, but you can get something really close with a bit of messing around!

How do you clean them and do you need too? Just take apart and wash with soap and water? Never mind just seen some threads. Just hope that lopsidedness goes away when turning after going at it, i noticed at first it had a gap on one side and closer on the other, so hopefully adjusting it will work after messing with it, because if its going to only crush 3/4 of my grain,im gonna be annoyed.hmm.
I leave mine mounted where i crush. Disassemble what i need to and give it a rinse in the sink. The main body of it i just vacuum and wipe down. I am not even close to worrying about rust. The Victoria i have will outlast my children's lifetime and they aren't even born.

Thanks guys what about the screwed on grind plate on the base, lots of crevices and hinding places, do you unscrew this and clean it also, this area really is my only concern, i rinsed it but dont think it will dry well without disassembling it and screwing the plate back on?If i had a compresser i probably would just blow it all off.
Looking forward to using it this weekend,a wine bottle was getting old for doing 2 gal partial mashes even, 2# of grain took me an hour to crush, now ill do some all grain.

Why are you bothering with cleaning your mill at all?

All that's there is residual husk, grain debris, etc. Unless it got heinously filthy and gummed up (which mine has not done in 3 years of use), I just don't see the point. Remember, everything you do with your mill is pre-boil, so there should be no real concern.

Unless you just want to clean something, I'd suggest spending the time cleaning things that matter.

Why are you bothering with cleaning your mill at all?

All that's there is residual husk, grain debris, etc. Unless it got heinously filthy and gummed up (which mine has not done in 3 years of use), I just don't see the point. Remember, everything you do with your mill is pre-boil, so there should be no real concern.

Unless you just want to clean something, I'd suggest spending the time cleaning things that matter.

THIS. I've had my Victoria-type Corona mill for going on three years, and I've yet to clean it, other than just to keep the dust from caking up on it.. It's mounted in a bucket (for variations on this method search for the "Ugly Junk" thread), and I just dump everything out after milling. At one point, the grain dust started to cake up on the outside of the mill, so I just brushed it off. Per the post above, I see absolutely no point in washing / drying the mill, since it's all done prior to the hot side.

I understand its preboil but,just try to keep it clean anyway. Ill probably just wipe it down.Dont want to really attract mice or that bacteria that thrive on grain dust. i know i know, mouse poop can get boiled too.

1-2 pounds? That's nothing. I frequently do 15-20lb grain bills in my Victoria mill, by hand.

Back