Homebrew Competition Rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinBierBitte

Reaction score
There is a Homebrew Competition coming up in a few weeks that I was wanting to enter my beer in. I was reading through the rules and noticed that the beer had to have an OG of 1.0666 or higher. I brewed and american pale ale and while I didnt take a reading, I know it couldnt have been that high. I was just wondering if that is normal for competitions to put an alcohol range on the entries. Heres the link to the rules:
http://www.thedigpub.com/Pages/3rd Annual Dig Pub.htm

Also I know I should always take hydro readings. This was a quick first batch to get me back into it and I havnt picked up a hydro yet.

There is a Homebrew Competition coming up in a few weeks that I was wanting to enter my beer in. I was reading through the rules and noticed that the beer had to have an OG of 1.0666 or higher. I brewed and american pale ale and while I didnt take a reading, I know it couldnt have been that high. I was just wondering if that is normal for competitions to put an alcohol range on the entries. Heres the link to the rules:
http://www.thedigpub.com/Pages/3rd Annual Dig Pub.htm

Also I know I should always take hydro readings. This was a quick first batch to get me back into it and I havnt picked up a hydro yet.

No that is not normal, but this is a competition for "monster" beers.

The rules seem to specify BJCP subcategories with gravities of 1.0666 or higher, so APA would be out.

There are a lot of homebrew competitions you can enter an APA in. A good one coming up this month is Hoppy Halloween:

http://hoppyhalloween.com/

And you can always find a list of BJCP/AHA sanctioned competitions here:

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Some competitions are limited to specific styles, others are open to all styles. I've seen ones restricted to high-gravity seasonals before.

Having served as a judge, I can tell you that it is the final TASTE that matters. (I am now enjoying a 10% brew that has NO alcohol taste.)

There is no way a judge can tell what the OG was unless you wind up with a TASTE of high alcohol.

I suggest you set down with a chilled bottle and scrutinize the flavor. Compare it to the write-ups for different styles and enter it in the one it BEST fits. This is something only YOU can do. (OK, maybe you and a trusted friend.)

Get serious about it. That is the biggest problem I found with judging entered beers. Many were very nice and drinkable beers, but missed the mark in style in some way.

Well it is 100% American Pale Ale. I read over the BJCP guidelines and it is unmistakeably an APA. According to the guidlines it also says that the OG on the high end should be 1.060. Could I enter the beer and label it as a 1.068 just to get it in? I doubt I would win but it will be fun to enter

To me it seems like entering a unicorn contest with a horse. Kinda similar, but you aren't going to fool anyone.

If you realize that the beer doesn't fit into the style categories, then why not just enter your beer into another competition?

Well it is 100% American Pale Ale. I read over the BJCP guidelines and it is unmistakeably an APA. According to the guidlines it also says that the OG on the high end should be 1.060. Could I enter the beer and label it as a 1.068 just to get it in? I doubt I would win but it will be fun to enter

Contact the competition organizer. My reading of the rules is that you cannot enter the APA category.

Could I enter the beer and label it as a 1.068 just to get it in? I doubt I would win but it will be fun to enter
To keep a judge from rating a brew based on the brewer, he NEVER sees the entry form. Only the entry number on the bottle and the style entered.

I understand now. Even if I entered in a competition where APA is acceptable, to have over the 1.060 OG would technically be out of style. 2 more beers for me! Thanks for the clarification and input

...to have over the 1.060 OG would technically be out of style.
Technically yes, but the OG is of course before you fermented the wort into beer. And it is the beer that matters. Heck, if the beer fits the style perfectly, it could even win Best Of Show.

Back