equipment for maintaining temp. control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummybeer

Reaction score
i store my beer in the basement during fermention and bottle conditioning as that is were i have room available. temeratures in my basement are about 62-65 degrees during the colder monthes of the year. as i understand, 70 degrees is about where i need the temerature to be for the best results in fermentation/bottle conditioning.
i know there are heating wraps to put on fermenters to control proper temperatures for fermention. without having to build a chamber, i am wondering if there is a similar piece of equipment to use in a similar way for when it comes time for bottle conditioning? or would building a chamber be a better option? any suggestions would be appreciated; thanks! :mug:

For fermenting most ales that is a perfect temperature range. The fermentation process will add some heat. Most ales I control between 65-68 degrees.

For conditioning without keeping them warmer, you pretty much would just have to let them condition longer. Carbonation will take a couple weeks or more at the lower end of the 60s.

The chamber would be your best bet. A big cardboard box would be enough to keep the heat in if you use a reptile warmer to add some heat. You don't need much to maintain a few degrees when you are in the 60s.

thanks for the advice!
how much does these reptile warmers go for? i may consider getting the reptile warmer to help the process along. as far as a chamber, i may not build one (at least not yet) because i already have a heating wrap for my fermenter.

i have also read in several places that putting the beer in the fridge for 48 hrs before drinking also helps in the carbonation. i didn't wait the 48 hrs because i got a little too impatient on waiting to drink my homebrew instead of drinking the coors that i have in the fridge. :D this may also be part of the solution as well.

Back