Pickle taste in bourbon stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
So I made a bourbon stout in a 5 gallon bucket that I got from the Publix deli. It still smelled like pickles, but I didn't think it was too bad. I might have been wrong. I recently racked to secondary, and everything smelled and tasted like pickles. I plan on aging this in bottles a while (at least 3 months and probably longer). What are the chances the pickle flavor will go away? Is this worth saving? Thanks for your help.

So I made a bourbon stout in a 5 gallon bucket that I got from the Publix deli. It still smelled like pickles, but I didn't think it was too bad. I might have been wrong. I recently racked to secondary, and everything smelled and tasted like pickles. I plan on aging this in bottles a while (at least 3 months and probably longer). What are the chances the pickle flavor will go away? Is this worth saving? Thanks for your help.

I don't think pickle taste goes away.

I've received deli buckets before, but I'll only take buckets that held frosting or peanut butter, not pickles. I think "pickles" is a very strong flavor, and I think it permeates the plastic pretty well.

Maybe you can still cook with the beer...depending on what you're cooking, I guess. Probably make some decent barbecue sauce.

add a pickle spear, squeeze of lime and a splash of V8 to the pint, add some tobasco and run with it. I could go for one with breakfast most mornings! call it a "bloody Murphy" (thats just a basic Michelada recipe) try one in the AM on a beach in Cozumel and tell me its not fantastic!

I've got it over wood chips right now. I think I might just throw in a bunch more. This was a big beer, probably over 10% ABV. Maybe I can "outflavor" the pickles!

Back