Am I broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
My question is inspired by freebird's post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12388 about commercial beer. First, I've gotta state that I spent a good deal of today working on all 3 of my batches of beer, which involved me drinking an ample amount of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Boddington's (one of my favorites), and Sierra Nevada PA. Therefore, with a bit of a buzz kickin', the following question sounds good...well, in my head at least.

Is it so wrong that I like ghetto malt beer? Offer me up a MegaBrew Lite vs. a cheap-ass malt and I'll take the malt. Why? Because there is flavor. Granted, some may compare the flavor to skunk piss swill but it is still a flavor. The past few brands of domestic megabrew has actually been hard to choke down. If I want a soda, I'll drink a soda...not a beer-flavored soft drink. ;)

Where did that innocent fezz go? I used to enjoy a Coors or a Miller Lite. Now I often find myself craving a Steel Reserve, Mickey's, Hurricane, OE800...whatever. Though my taste for finer brew usually comes out on top, sometimes I just gotta have my fix. :drunk:

Have I become a beer snob? I don't think that applies to me because I enjoy both ends of the quality spectrum...I just no longer seem to like the average stuff in the middle.

p.s. I'm out of beer...except for the Miller and Bud saved for company. :mad: I suppose i'll watch a bit of TV. Also, giving praise to the Backspace key...who made this post possible. :D

EDIT: Wow, my head sure feels broken this morning. Bad combo of brews I suppose.

Your craving for Steel Reserve is just your body's way of maintaining balance in your life. A little like eating Oscar Meyer weiners with dijon ketchup.

david_42 said:
Your craving for Steel Reserve is just your body's way of maintaining balance in your life. A little like eating Oscar Meyer weiners with dijon ketchup.

Isn't it amazing how magical a simple grilled hotdog can be?

Steel Reserve rocks ! You even get to keep the big bottle to put homebrew in later. Don't feel shame for your malt liquor taste, embrace it. Tell the naysayers that it's just a part of the wonder of you. If they don't like it, they'll go away eventually.
I, for one, have no problem being alone with 40oz. of 8% happiness. Especially when I can justify it by telling myself I'm drinking it for the bottles!:drunk:

sudsmonkey said:
Steel Reserve rocks ! You even get to keep the big bottle to put homebrew in later. Don't feel shame for your malt liquor taste, embrace it. Tell the naysayers that it's just a part of the wonder of you. If they don't like it, they'll go away eventually.
I, for one, have no problem being alone with 40oz. of 8% happiness. Especially when I can justify it by telling myself I'm drinking it for the bottles!:drunk:

Hey, hey, hey, buck-o! That's 8.1% of happiness. :rockin: Unfortunately, Florida doesn't sell 40s and I can't even get Steelies in 32oz. However, a 12pk of cans can be a wonderful thing.

I find that I am drinking less of it just because I can't use the cans for my homebrew. :( My wife is having some kind of candle selling party tomorrow night. I think I may just have to pick up a few Steelies to help me cope. :drunk:

Thanks for sharing the malt love. Ever try Carlsberg Elephant malt? I managed to find a sixer of that stuff once. It was most excellent. If only I knew how to clone such a beast.

Back