Insulating pad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed three layers of reflectix under my e-kettle. Has worked well so far. I cut it to size so it fits my pot perfectly and believe it or not I haven't had compression issues as I suppose the weight it we'll distributed over all the bubbles. To each there own. Do what works for you!

Malric said:
I'm looking at options to put under my e-kettles to add insulation as well as slip prevention. I'm looking at cork mats as well as silicone baking mats. Anyone have some insight or experience? Example: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cork+mat&sprefix=cork+ma%2Caps%2C150&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acork+mat

What type of stand are the e-kettles on? If it's wood or a stainless steel table or shelf, you really don't need anything. The kettles do not get nearly as hot as one heated by propane. As far as slipping, the weight of the kettle pretty much takes care of that.

I've got a 3 keggle eherms system on a wood platform/table, and I'm not sure if I need them, but I have 3 round pads under them. I forgot where I got them, but they are cork with a painted/lightly laminated surface on them. I had a boil over on my boil kettle, and the water just trashed the pad under that tank. Had to throw it out after one mishap.

I strongly suggest not using cork under any kettle that can leak water........

Reflecting works great on my mashtun. Not an e-brewery, but very functional

Back