Beer glasses questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
So I'm interested in buying some beer glasses. The ones I own are old, ugly, odd shaped and cannot even contain a 12oz bottle.

I bottle my beer in 12oz bottles. Good shape for me when I come back from work.

I was wondering, what size of glasses should I buy if I want to pour my beer completely in it but without being too big.

I know 20oz glasses are too big. But when searching the web I've seen various size, 16 being the most popular. I was wondering if 16oz was too big, or is the size perfect to get a 12oz beer + the head. Or should I aim for 14oz glasses?

And if anyone know where I could buy beer glasses online (North america) that'd be appreciated :)

I buy my glassware from true beer (just google "true beer glassware") they have tulip glasses that would suit 12 oz just fine with roam for a nice head. Here's a picture for reference.

ForumRunner_20130328_121641.jpg

EDIT: Here's a link to the glasses I have. It says they hold 13 oz. http://www.truebeer.com/Tulip-Beer-Glass-Set_p_574.html

I ordered a bunch from the following site over x-mas. Flat rate shipping - so the more you order the cheaper it is. Other places I looked at the shipping was almost as much as the glasses I was ordering.... I was very pleased with what I got:

http://www.pubglasses.com/

I ordered a bunch from the following site over x-mas. Flat rate shipping - so the more you order the cheaper it is. Other places I looked at the shipping was almost as much as the glasses I was ordering.... I was very pleased with what I got:

http://www.pubglasses.com/

Very nice selection and price. How's the quality of the glass? I liked truebeer because the glass was nice and thick (like what they'd serve in a bar). Most glassware I buy from breweries tend to be thin and not as durable.

I've collected about 30 glasses in a few different shapes collected at brewery tours, Flying Saucer glass nights, garage sales, GoodWill, and eBay. I've got pint glasses, mugs, steins, tulips, hefe glasses, plisen glasses, nonic pints, "big o" goblets, champagne flutes, you name it.

If I could only have one kind of beer glass, I'd go with 20oz brandy snifters. They are awesome for IPAs, Barleywines, and Belgians. I found them at my local liquor store.

AH103-00-18.jpg

Very nice selection and price. How's the quality of the glass? I liked truebeer because the glass was nice and thick (like what they'd serve in a bar). Most glassware I buy from breweries tend to be thin and not as durable.

I probably ordered 60 glasses total, of various styles. Ranged from small tasting glasses, to imperial pints, pilsners and various others. Every one arrived in one piece. Everyone met or exceeded what I expected to receive as far as quality and durability. Got them in December and have had several parties and they get used regularly and run through dishwasher - Not a single break or crack so far. So, in my opinion, the quality has been great. They have the "heaviness" of glasses you would get in bars.... at least the styles I ordered did.

I've collected about 30 glasses in a few different shapes collected at brewery tours, Flying Saucer glass nights, garage sales, GoodWill, and eBay. I've got pint glasses, mugs, steins, tulips, hefe glasses, plisen glasses, nonic pints, "big o" goblets, champagne flutes, you name it.

If I could only have one kind of beer glass, I'd go with 20oz brandy snifters. They are awesome for IPAs, Barleywines, and Belgians. I found them at my local liquor store.

AH103-00-18.jpg

Brandy snifters are meant to be held by the bowl to warm the brandy. Not the best glass for a beer in my opinion. Some red wine glass have a snifter like bowl that could be nice though.

If I'm tasting, I use a white wine glass.
I'f I'm drinking I use a pint glass.

Brandy snifters are meant to be held by the bowl to warm the brandy. Not the best glass for a beer in my opinion. Some red wine glass have a snifter like bowl that could be nice though.

If I'm tasting, I use a white wine glass.
I'f I'm drinking I use a pint glass.

Some beers are great as they warm up. I use brandy snifters for any of the barrel aged beers I drink (firestone walker parabola). Lots of new intense aromas come out as the beer warms in my hand.

Back