What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brown ale. Nice, a little too dark and toasty but pretty good. Will drop the black malt next time and maybe reduce bitterness.

Mmmmmm.... digging this. Stronger rye presence than other rye ales I've had. Could use more hop aroma, but the flavor and bitterness are definitely there. Nice malt character and I live the strong rye character.

20130205_193200.jpg

Deschutes Red Chair,still cant get into this one since after a few from before. Im going with: cloying sweetness on this one(too much of a certain crystal malt maybe) real strong sweet toffee/ raison or sumpin,otherwise its a pretty decent one besides that. I like malty beers too,but..

FermentNEthinG said:
Every time I see a sixer of lagunitas sucks at the store I think of this thread.:drunk:....still haven't pulled the trigger though!

It's going to end up being the one that got away.. It'll be gone and they'll never brew it again ;)

You're delicious, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Don't let that mean old LoloMT7 discourage you.

EDIT: I actually made this post before I saw Lolo's post, so this is entirely coincidental

Lol all i get is a huge hoppy, acid skunk taste. Zero malt and the aftertaste is like a huge mouthful of pennies.

WesleyBrewViking said:
Sauza Gold cheap-a$$ tequila. Later on I think I'll have a Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout.

Just seeing that picture gives me a hangover and makes me want to puke. That's some truly horrible stuff. ;)

Lol all i get is a huge hoppy, acid skunk taste. Zero malt and the aftertaste is like a huge mouthful of pennies.

I get no skunk at all, but there's clearly an a$$ ton of Citra in the late hops. I'm also getting quite a bit of malt sweetness, more than you typically find in a Lagunitas brew. I don't know how you're getting a mouthful of pennies, but we all have different palates, so you're clearly getting something I am not.

Well you can't do that and not share the recipe...

Gah, I must be getting tipsified if I posted that. Sorry, it's been two weeks since we did the tasting and my head is still so dang big I don't know what to do with myself. On another, smaller, homebrew forum we set up a funky beer swap. I emailed Oldsock aka the Mad Fermentationist seeing if he'd be our 'celeb' taster. He didn't think he fit the bill, but suggested a few pros who might be receptive to participating, Shaun (and Dan, his assistant) included.

But seriously, while I'm bragging, Shaun Hill likes my homebrew saison! Mashed in a cooler and boiled in a keg on my back porch. I even had to entice a couple pigs back into the fence while I was brewing this one, don't get more farmhouse than that. :mug: Course they're both sausage and bacon now.

Anywho, sorry for the bragging.

60% pale malt
20% heritage (vienna/municish)
20% red (turkey) wheat
10% Turbinado

(yeah, that's 110%, if it doesn't make sense, malt % is weight and sugar is extract)

1.062 OG, fermented with ECY03, bottled at 1.005

Barley is 6 row, turkey is a heritage wheat. Grown in NC and malted by Brian & Brent at Riverbend in Asheville. Whoops, sub abruzzi rye for turkey wheat- this is a rye saison - I used wheat in the nelson dry hopped version.

90 minute boil. Bittered with a half + an eighth oz citra at 60, qtr + 8th ea citra and nelson at 15 and flameout, dry hopped oz citra 1 week.

It's a freaking good beer. I didn't adjust my water at all and because this is a pale beer, I've been told to make sure kettle pH is 5.2. Did that on the last batch of petite saison with lactic acid. Still in fermenter, but wow! Makes the difference from 'really, really good - did I brew this?' to 'wow, who snuck fancy beer into my fermenter?'

I will grab some good ol'sucks tomorrow for sure. I am a huge fan of the brown shugga so I'm sure this will please the liver.

If you like fruity barely wines....then turn to a blithering idiot.....

image-2478696995.jpg

I get no skunk at all, but there's clearly an a$$ ton of Citra in the late hops. I'm also getting quite a bit of malt sweetness, more than you typically find in a Lagunitas brew. I don't know how you're getting a mouthful of pennies, but we all have different palates, so you're clearly getting something I am not.

Yup just don't dig it but to each there own :). I love the lucky 13 and others so don't get me wrong anyone lagunitas makes great beer!! Mouth is watering thinking about the red they make too.... soooooo good.

Back