Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoman

Reaction score
I boiled my first batch approximately 30 hours ago. It is a northern brewer American wheat with dry yeast. The plastic fermenter is under my stairs at a temp around 68 to 70. Being a first time brewer I am concerned I have seen no activity in the relief tube. Did I kill my yeast by not refrigerating it (was wrapped in a present). Should I wait a few more hours before concern? I will probably make it to my hbs today, should I get more yeast and re pitch? Any advice to put my mind at ease is appreciated. Thanks.

Yeast can take up to a few days to get going, wait it out before you decide to re pitch. It shouldn't be a problem that the yeast was out of the fridge for a while. Just checking, but you did cool the wort before pitching the yeast, correct?

Good. Did you aerate our shake the carboy well? You need to get some oxygen in there for the yeast since the boil will strip all the oxygen from the wort. If you didn't you can probably go ahead and shake it now before fermentation gets going. If you already did, I would just wait it out a little longer and it should get going.

Good. Did you aerate our shake the carboy well? You need to get some oxygen in there for the yeast since the boil will strip all the oxygen from the wort. If you didn't you can probably go ahead and shake it now before fermentation gets going. If you already did, I would just wait it out a little longer and it should get going.

It's possible that it is fermenting, but the bucket lid doesn't seal perfectly - therefore, no bubbles. If it is fermenting, aeration would be bad. Not all yeast actually needs to be aerated. Danstar yeast doesn't need it - I don't know about Fermentis. Also, if this batch was topped off with tap water, some oxygen was added with the tap water. I'd hesitate to aerate it at this point.

I did shake it with the lid on after topping it off with tap water to reach 5 gals. So I won't shake it again. I'll be patient.

I just got a kit for Christmas and it took a little over 72 hours to start fermenting. Give it a day or two before you start to worry.

68-70 degrees ambient temperature is a little high. Fermentation creates heat so you might consider finding somewhere slightly cooler to ferment. Alternatively you could use a swamp cooler.

yeast does not need to be in fridge it is just better if you are going to keep it a long time .
Lid may be leaking ,. I always use good i.e gorilla tape or scotch , duct tape to seal mine off

yeast does not need to be in fridge it is just better if you are going to keep it a long time .
Lid may be leaking ,. I always use good i.e gorilla tape or scotch , duct tape to seal mine off

I don't worry about whether it's perfectly sealed as long as the seal is good enough to keep fruit flies etc from getting in.

As long as it is actively fermenting there positive pressure inside which will help keep nasties out. Not to mention the CO2 layer that will form as a result to keep it from oxidizing. Relax, don't worry. Let it become beer.

Back