Please help a beginner! Problem fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadelicious

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a problem with our second batch.

We our ingredients where a coopers wheat beer and a coopers starter kit 2 instead of sugar.

We did our mix, left our brew to ferment for a week and did a hydro reading. It was a bad reading of about 1.30. We left it another 3 days and took another, not much had changed.

We put this down to the change in temperature. We decided to add more yeast as there was obviously still sugar in the wart. We placed our mixture in the airing cupboard where the temperature has kept the wort at a healthy 24-26. Another week has gone by and our last hydro reading was 1.016. It is not moving very quickly, we are scared it may go off if we leave it longer for bottling.

Question is, have we gone wrong from the start? We looked at the brew enhancer kit we put in instead of sugar and it says they have in-ferment able sugars in it. Could this be the reason?

Any help you could give would be greatful.

What was the original gravity? 1.016 seems fine. Take a daily reading until it stops dropping for 3 days. Then you can bottle.

At 24-26C you were fermenting too warm. Should've been 18-20C. The yeast must've gotten stressed. With 1 Cooper's can The box of BE2,you're OG should've been 1.04X. So it should get down to 1/010-1.012 For an FG. Just make sure some yeast stays swirled up into suspension & give it maybe another week or so for it to finish fermenting. Let it settle out slightly misty before bottling,since it's a wheat beer. It shouldn't go bad as long as the yeast are active & you don't open it too often.

Well, I don't think 24-26C is going to kill yeast, but it probably won't make great tasting beer. It's certainly high, though...too high. I'm thinking 1.016 is pretty decent for a FG, depending on the OG, but it's probably close to done. I'm of the opinion that OG/FG are mostly just suggestions/goals, but unless you're way off, it's probably fine. Let your beer sit for a bit longer (minimum 2-3 weeks, or take your measurements until 3 days of no change) and then bottle. It'll probably be fine, just might taste a little off from the high fermentation.

Thank you for all your comments, the origional gravity was just over 1.04. I'm glad you think the FG should be ok, because the hydro readings I have taken a couple days apart show it stopped fermenting more. I think it is time bottle! Can I ask, what temperature should I keep the bottles at and how long should we keep them bottled to carbonate before they are ready?

If you're not moving FG-wise, you could bottle..but the beer will improve with a little more time. Up to you. You'll want to keep the bottles at room temp for 2 weeks and then chill/start tasting, a bottle at a time every few days. (I usually start at a week, but then again, I have no aversion to green beer and I like to see how it matures.) It's usually ready after 2-3 weeks, but I say it's ready when it tastes good.

Back