First batch of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
We are on day two of our raspberry/pear wine. The directions say to cover with cheese cloth over night. We did that last night. Question is, do we keep the cloth on it until its ready for the carboy or do we put the lid on it now? Directions don't really say. After it hits 1.040 SG then it says to transfer to carboy and airlock it.

The cloth is to keep stuff (bugs/fruit flies) from getting in and for letting gases out; you can put a lid on loosely. I generally stir the batch a few times a day for as long as the recipe calls for (3-4 days) to keep knocking the cap down. You had to take a hydrometer reading when starting (did you?) and as the fermentation progresses the SG drops. When the gravity reading is at 1.040 you transfer to a carboy with air lock,leaving the berry skins and sediment behind. All you want in the carboy is the juice. I strain thru cheese cloth and squeeze out as much juice as I can get. In the carboy you want as little air space as possible, a couple inches below the neck is good for primary. If need be top up with juice or wine to the eliminate the head space. Keep everything sanitized as you move the wine to the carboy. Cheers:)

What was your recipe for the pear and raspberry wine?

I bought a 96 oz can of Vintners Harvest fruit wine base for both the pear and raspberry wines. I followed the 3 gallon recipe on the label. All my wines are 3 gallon batches. They have excellent directions on their cans. Cant go wrong unless you want to use fresh fruit.

Latest posts

Back