Always Short on OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hey All,

It seems like every time I brew that I am short on OG. I think it may be because I use a 5 gallon carboy and don't mix it well enough before I take the gravity. The closest I have come was when a friend used this siphon to stick in the carboy, deep in it, and I barely missed. Otherwise I use a turkey baster to get wort off the top of the carboy that has had water mixed (which could be another problem).

Here is my brew process:
1. Steep grains in < 1gal of water per 1# of steeping grains.
2. Add water to get up to ~4gallons in the brew pot.
3. Bring to a boil and add half of the DME
4. Boil 60 minutes
5. Add rest of DME
6. Cool
7. Add to carboy and add enough water to bring to 5g.

That's pretty much it. Am I not vigorously boiling hard enough?

Thank you for our time and help,
Scot

If you are using extract and putting in the correct amount of water, you are hitting your OG. There is a set amount of sugar in an extract kit.

It is almost impossible to get the wort and top off water mixed enough to get a complete accurate reading.

If you are using extract and putting in the correct amount of water, you are hitting your OG. There is a set amount of sugar in an extract kit.

It is almost impossible to get the wort and top off water mixed enough to get a complete accurate reading.
That's sort of what I wanted to hear. Makes me feel better.

On the other post: I cook on the stove.

You have to stir your top off water a ton in order to get a proper reading, which is really hard when you have a glass carboy. I started using part of my auto-siphon to stir the carboy up, as well as general shaking in trying to aerate it. I can now get pretty decent readings.

Latest posts

Back