1st time dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Hey everybody...
I followed some advice given to me by some of the "elders" here on this site, and I dry hopped my IPA by just dumping a half ounce of Columbus pellets into my carboy. This beer sat on the cake in primary for almost three weeks (1.060 down to 1.014), then I racked it to a carboy to dry hop for a week or so. My question is, will all the hop flakes settle at the bottom (I plan to cold crash), because ever since I put them in, all the gunk is just floating on top.

Hey everybody...
I followed some advice given to me by some of the "elders" here on this site, and I dry hopped my IPA by just dumping a half ounce of Columbus pellets into my carboy. This beer sat on the cake in primary for almost three weeks (1.060 down to 1.014), then I racked it to a carboy to dry hop for a week or so. My question is, will all the hop flakes settle at the bottom (I plan to cold crash), because ever since I put them in, all the gunk is just floating on top.

Usually they do, sometimes they don't. It seems to me that when it's colder, they float more. (I think more co2 remains in suspension and the bubbles hold it there- or else I'm imagining it.

You can just rack around them, though, no worries. I put my racking cane about 1/2 way down into the finished beer and lower it as the beer level lowers until I'm just over the trub. By then, the hops sludge has sunk pretty well.

Doesn't really matter if you weigh them or not. I dry hop with whole hops and they float i just filter the beer when transferring it out of the secondary to a keg or bottling bucket.

Cold crashing will help everything sink to the bottom as well, i do that before I keg.

Well, I was going to weigh them down with the marble in the bag trick, but it was suggested to just toss them in. Yooper, thanks; I figured I could just rack from below them.:rockin:

I can't wait to try this beer!:tank:

Latest posts

Back