Filling my C02 tank question--in montreal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
Im looking to get my CO2 tank filled for the first time, and the LHBS shop not only JUST swaps tanks (meaning id have to give up my shiny one) but he also says that it would be 30 bucks (for a 5 pound tank, that seems like alot (?))

Anyway, Ive been calling around and asking at fire extinguisher refill places and I think Ive found one that may be able to do it, but they dont know if it is food grade or not (language barrier issue of course.)

Is it possible for me to get a general consensus from everyone here whether or not I should be able to simply get it filled there and be able to trust that it is safe to use?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

CO2 is CO2 regardless of its intended application. I don't see any reason why using welding or fire extinguisher CO2 is any different to any other CO2.

Thanks Parva, thats what Ive come up with after doing some reading online about this kind of stuff.

Now I just have to hope that they have the attachment to fit my tank!

Cost me $17 to get my 5 #er filled here at my fire extingusher shop. Most times I don't have to leave it ( unless I'm getting a re-certification ) and can get it filled while I wait.

And I agree, CO2 is CO2, the only real difference is in what they use to transfer it with. Some places use non-brass fittings and the resulting CO2 could have some rust/iron particles in it, although I haven't heard of anyone experiencing it. I really wouldn't worry about that.

Fire Extinguisher place here in Moncton charges 2.50$ per pound so a 5lb Tank is only $12.50 and they fill while you wait unless they have to recertify.

Making this place cheaper for a 5lb but more expensive for 20LB. Liquid Air will fill 5lb for $20 and a 20lb for $40 but only on Fridays.

dp

Thanks for all the input, I found a fire extinguisher place about 5km from where I live and rode my bike up there, the woman at the desk said shed call me when it was done but a guy came and grabbed it and said it would be 15 minutes. He was back in ten and five pounds cost me 11, so $12.xx with tax.

There is a metro station only about a 1km from there, so I would even be willing to walk it come winter :mug:

thanks for all the help everyone

Thanks for all the input, I found a fire extinguisher place about 5km from where I live and rode my bike up there, the woman at the desk said shed call me when it was done but a guy came and grabbed it and said it would be 15 minutes. He was back in ten and five pounds cost me 11, so $12.xx with tax.

There is a metro station only about a 1km from there, so I would even be willing to walk it come winter :mug:

thanks for all the help everyone

Hi, im in Montreal also and i have a terrible time trying to find a place to buy and fill a co2 tank. Can you tell me your fire extinguisher place?

thanks

Hi, im in Montreal also and i have a terrible time trying to find a place to buy and fill a co2 tank. Can you tell me your fire extinguisher place?

thanks

Sure, I don't know if they sell tanks but they will fill them for you. Both times they actually filled them while I waited! :ban::ban:

Its called Guard-X, I actually see some of their cars all over the city.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=guard-x,+Montreal,&sll=45.574759,-73.643761&sspn=0.07546,0.181789&ie=UTF8&hq=guard-x,&hnear=Montreal,+QC,+Canada&ll=45.547597,-73.618183&spn=0.075496,0.181789&t=h&z=13&iwloc=A"]Link [/ame]

Also, welcome!!! And good job with the search function :D

Just to chip in, CO2 is not CO2 is not CO2. It comes in all sorts of purities, you have to get food grade, not fire extinguisher grade. The grade is way more important than purity.
Even if it is 99.9 or even 99.99% it's still no good if it's not food grade and 99%...forget it. That 0.1 or 0.01% could contaminated with really nasty crud. For the sake of a few bucks and your well being I'd urge you to insist on food grade and check it is. Doubtless lots of people do use el cheapo without problems, but if you dont have to then don't.

It's up to you, here is food grade spec
http://www.logichemprocess.com/CO2 Food Grade Specs.pdf

These limits are deemed safe, to put a fire out it doesn't matter
Secondly there is the containers that can cross contaminate if corroded etc.
Sure this is a way to rip you off, and 99999/100,000 it won't matter, like insurance I guess, you don't need it til you need it. Sometimes perhaps mostly, ordinary CO2 might meet this spec, sometimes not.
Look at this
http://www.jmcatalysts.com/ptd/site.asp?siteid=671&pageid=674
there is a reason why benzene is set lower for consumption than for processing.
like this for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene_in_soft_drinks
It all depends how you value your health and other people's. Personally I'd say if you have a choice then there's no macho points for drinking welder gas or fireman foam or whatever and if there are they don't seem worth having.

So where should we go in Montreal to get food-grade CO2?

Just to chip in, CO2 is not CO2 is not CO2. It comes in all sorts of purities, you have to get food grade, not fire extinguisher grade. The grade is way more important than purity.
Even if it is 99.9 or even 99.99% it's still no good if it's not food grade and 99%...forget it. That 0.1 or 0.01% could contaminated with really nasty crud. For the sake of a few bucks and your well being I'd urge you to insist on food grade and check it is. Doubtless lots of people do use el cheapo without problems, but if you dont have to then don't.

It's up to you, here is food grade spec
http://www.logichemprocess.com/CO2 Food Grade Specs.pdf

These limits are deemed safe, to put a fire out it doesn't matter
Secondly there is the containers that can cross contaminate if corroded etc.
Sure this is a way to rip you off, and 99999/100,000 it won't matter, like insurance I guess, you don't need it til you need it. Sometimes perhaps mostly, ordinary CO2 might meet this spec, sometimes not.
Look at this
http://www.jmcatalysts.com/ptd/site.asp?siteid=671&pageid=674
there is a reason why benzene is set lower for consumption than for processing.
like this for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene_in_soft_drinks
It all depends how you value your health and other people's. Personally I'd say if you have a choice then there's no macho points for drinking welder gas or fireman foam or whatever and if there are they don't seem worth having.

So where should we go in Montreal to get food-grade CO2?

La cachette du bootlegger fills them. They dont have a pump for the CO2 so you have to leave your tank there for about half a day (they freeze the bottles, connect them to their main CO2 tank, and pull them out of the freezer. As the bottle heats up it 'sucks' CO2 from the main tank.)

All in all, thats where I go. Inexpensive, good service and a chance to talk beer with the local gurus.

I forgot to add, all of them have food grade c02. Also, if your downtown, Linde on 2720-B ST-Patrick by the Atwater market had food grade as well. unfortunately you have to leave your tank for up to a week...

Back