Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasnan

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and a tad short on cash. I would like to try brewing a fruit beer, but a lot of the recipes I'm finding call for a secondary fermenter. Could I siphon my beer from my primary (6 gallon carboy) to a bottling bucket, cover, clean and resanitize my primary and refill it for use as a secondary? This would be a temporary fix until I can get another carboy or a fermenting bucket.

The problem with moving the beer x amount of times (primary to bottling, bottling to primary/secondary-and than-secondary to bottling bucket and bottling bucket to bottle/keg) is the possibility of oxidization and contamination. Some think oxidation is impossible at the homebrew level but this remains debate-able. But the increased risk of contamination is a serious concern.

However, you plan would work. As long as you are safe.

If you have a Lowes nearby, they carry 5-gallon food grade white plastic buckets and lids in the paint dept. Very inexpensive.

Back