Yeast defection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was using a brew kit and the least it came with it must not have been good to only pop for about 2-3 hours I let it sit for two weeks then I check the specific gravity and the alcohol content is only about two and a half so I take a taste of the wort and it is very very sweet so I figure maybe the yeast didn't do its job therefore I figured if I put yeast in it again it would take off and it already started. Is this the wrong thing to do?

45 at first and 15 last

1.015 could be your final gravity. I dont really think its a stuck ferment, if it doesnt change for another two days I think your good to prime and bottle.
The og seems a bit low but to late to do anything about that

OG 1.045, FG 1.015 gives an ABV of 3.94%. Hardly boozy, but certainly more than 2.5%.

Turbo yeast is going to give you boozy water. I have yet to see a single instance of someone being happy with the quality of their brew that used turbo yeast.

Yeah, I'd just wait a couple more and bottle it up without more yeast. You might end up with a great tasting lawnmower beer.

What is a good yeast. I live in a cold foggy climate that gets brief periods of sun this time of year . We stay about 63deg. But its a very cold wet 63. For that matter are their any suggestions on type of beer and kit? Once I experiment I should be able to create.

So does that mean the alcohol will stay .2.5%?

As stated above, it's at just under 4%.

OG-FG * 131. Don't go by the meter on the hydrometer. And yes, it will be around that level. That's not bad. If you bump the alcohol, it's going to be very watery and not taste as good...

What is a good yeast. I live in a cold foggy climate that gets brief periods of sun this time of year . We stay about 63deg. But its a very cold wet 63. For that matter are their any suggestions on type of beer and kit? Once I experiment I should be able to create.

63 is actually a great temp to ferment at for most yeasts, other than the 'High temp. Belgian yeasts'.
To answer your Q, what type of beer do you like to drink? Or might want to try? I've found that in the year and a half that I've been brewing, I try types of beer that I never would have tried before. When I find something I like, I look for a recipe to match.(it helps that I've found a neat packie store that will let you put together a mixed 6er of different beers).

Since I don't know what that is probably not. I mean I am a first timer but very good at following recipes

Well I just left the fermentation bucket full for a month and the end result was approx. 5% ABC pre prime. Primed and bottled tonight. It tasted pretty well I guess for my first batch. I bottled a wine bottle and corked it for a blow off just to see what happens.

You bottled in a wine bottle? If you did its likely going to explode. Those bottles are not rated to hold that kind of pressure

I dont think theres a way to visually tell if they are carbed besides opening one. I usually wait a week and a half to start testing them. And good thing about the wine bottle, bottle bombs is not something you want.

I know. We used to get em when gramps made root beer in the hothouse. Every time one exploded he'd say too hot. No matter how long that stuff was in the freezer it wouldn't freeze. The good old days. Happy Memorial day. Thanks

Back