Favorite NJ Watering Holes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Personally I'll exclude the brewpubs (at least for now) and just focus on the bars. I lived in Burlington county for the first 2 tears of my drinking life so I found some real good ones there I'll start with

High St. Grill - Mt. Holly. Used to be my go to place. Especially whethe tn they used to do Irish Music and beer promo Tuesdays. Food is awesome beer selection is on point and I've never personally had an issues with dirty glasses or lines. Always left there very happy.

Blue Monkey Tavern - Merchantville - My other favorite, located about 5 minutes or so from the Cherry Hill Mall, this awesome bar has an expansive tap list and quality food. While the service is nowhere near as awesome as HSG the taplist is always on point.

Now that I live in New Brunswick I have a few go to places

George St. Ale House - New Brunswick - Good beer selection, probably the weakest on the list but I won't complain too much. Good food as well. Service can be on the eh side but I've also had amazing waitstaff there as well so it seems like luck of the draw and when you're there. But the almost always have one beer I'm dying to try or have not had in a long time.

Maloney's - Matawan - Kinda like Blue Monkey, very good beer selection, bar area is almost always crazy busy sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for a drink order. But it's almost always worth the wait. They have a fantastic selection of beer, local NJ crafts, some of the leading crafts (Brooklyn, Dogfish, etc.) and some excellent imports as well. Highly recommend the bar.

Northside Lounge in Manville. Current taplist:

B. Nektar Evil Genius IPA-Style Mead 8oz. Draft 6.0 $8.00
Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale 16oz. Draft 4.1 $5.00
Fegley's Brew Works Rude Elf's Reserve 12oz. Draft 10.5 $5.00
Great Divide Yeti Stout Oak Aged 10oz. Draft 9.5 $6.00
Guinness 20oz. Draft 4.3 $4.75
Lagunitas Brown Shugga 12oz. Draft 9.9 $5.00
Long Trail Brown Bag IPA 16oz. Draft 6.2 $4.00
Lost Abbey Gift Of Magi 12oz. Draft 10.0 $7.00
Original Sin Apple Cider 16oz. Draft 6.0 $5.00
Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper 10oz. Draft 10.0 $6.00
Scaldis Noel 8oz. Draft 12.0 $8.00
Stella Artois 16oz. Draft 5.0 $4.50
Troegs Mad Elf 10oz. Draft 11.0 $5.00
Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter 16oz. Draft 5.7 $5.00

The Cloverleaf in Caldwell is one of my favorites. I've been going there pretty regularly since I met my wife who is from the area. My mother just bought a vacation home down by Toms River. I'm going to have to find a place down there to wet my whistle!

Airborneguy said:
I was there once. The food was very good, but the I thought most of the beer was so so.

My cousin was telling something about the brewmaster leaving and now they're just following the recipe.

I'll second the blue monkey in merchantville. I went there for my birthday. The only problem was that the food and service was so quick, I got rushed and did not get to try as many beers as I wanted.

I just went here:
The Irish Mile
350 Haddon Avenue,
Haddon township, NJ 08108
http://m.google.com/u/m/BsX48J

It has 60 taps. They had flying fish exit 16 on tap when I went. That made me very happy. Plus cheap slices of pizza.

There is the pour house and keg in kitchen down Haddon ave in Haddon township but they get too crowed and pretentious. The Irish mile feels more like a solid local watering hole.

I'm up in Norther Jersey. Wayne, Passaic County. There's a few places around that are solid beer bars and stores. The craft beer demand must be growing around here because in the past five years there has been a huge increase in availability. Here's my list of places to check out if you're in the area:

Bars:
The Tap House Grille
The Shepherd and the Knucklehead
+1 on The Cloverleaf (I haven't been there but it has a solid reputation)

Stores:
Wine and Beverage Depot
Gary's
Bottle King

Homebrew Store (with on site brewing availability):
Cask & Kettle (Boonton) - Great store with an extremely knowledgeable and helpful owner.

Salt in Byram-Great Craft beers,Great food,Cozy euro pub feel
Mohawk House Sparta-Bands and 48 taps,Great food

Shop rite liquors in Byram-one of the the best bottle shops around!

In Ocean County, I go to Surf Taco in Jackson and the Tipperary Pub in Lakehurst. Tipperary has a pretty good selection of local and craft beer, plus their whiskey selection is amazing.

Pretty good food and good prices at both IMO.

In Ocean County, I go to Surf Taco in Jackson and the Tipperary Pub in Lakehurst. Tipperary has a pretty good selection of local and craft beer, plus their whiskey selection is amazing.

Pretty good food and good prices at both IMO.

hey I've been watching the rebuild of Tipperary on my drive by, nice? What kind of local/craft beer?

Where's Maloneys?

Right on Main Street in Matawan. Has a really big draft list. Their list covers the front and back of a sheet of paper. ALmost always hvae a good selection of NJ beers, belgians, and they get most of the big releases like they got the Stone Enjoy by Series, they got 120 on draft, and a few other ones. My brother goes to their beer dinners a lot.

hey I've been watching the rebuild of Tipperary on my drive by, nice? What kind of local/craft beer?

Yeah, it's a pretty good place. SWMBO likes the Corned Beef Eggrolls and the Pulled Pork Sandwich. Pretty good burgers, too.

They usually have a Carton and a Kane on tap. I know Kane's Morning Bell just went on tap there the other night. I had a stout that I can't remember the name of right now the last time I was there. It was really good. And the prices are fair.

The Cloverleaf in Caldwell is one of my favorites. I've been going there pretty regularly since I met my wife who is from the area. My mother just bought a vacation home down by Toms River. I'm going to have to find a place down there to wet my whistle!

I grew up in West Caldwell and remember when the Cloverleaf was a men only bar. They've change a lot over the years and Ryan has done a great job creating a quality menu and they have 25 beers on tap. I had a lot of fun with the MBA and PhD programs.

Sort of on topic to NJ Watering holes, I'm extremely excited for High Street Grill's Winter Beer Fest on Saturday I can't wait to drink a ton of awesome brews.

Salt in Byram-Great Craft beers,Great food,Cozy euro pub feel
Mohawk House Sparta-Bands and 48 taps,Great food

Shop rite liquors in Byram-one of the the best bottle shops around!

^ love both of those places. Salt has a great selection and the food is always great.

Also try Eddies Roadhouse right over the NJ boarder in Warwick, NY. Great Food, Always a new rotation of local craft brews. Great Place

Back