First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen74

Reaction score
My lager has been fermenting since 12 December and I'm using a heat belt at an average temp of 24 degrees. How long before its transferred to the bottle then how long in the bottle? Every forum and leaflet has different instructions and I hope my first batch isn't ruined!!!

You're making a lager at 24c? That's about 75f which is very warm for an ale, much less a lager beer. Many brewers will let their lagers start warm at say 18c for a day to get going and then drop the temperatures between 10-15c depending on what the yeast prefers. Once down in that range, the actual lager can take three to six weeks on average.

If you've fermented a lager yeast at 24c for what looks like about three weeks, you're likely to have a beer with a lot of ale characteristics. Some lager yeasts can handle ale temperatures but they'll create fruity estery flavors that aren't characteristic to that clean, crisp dry lager taste.

If you used ale yeast, you'll still probably have some esters at 24c.. It's likely your primary fermentation is done since it's been a full three weeks.

Thanks for your reply. I have followed the instructions exactly. It said to brew between 21-27 degrees. However it talks about a second vessel before bottling?? Can the beer not go straight from primary vessel to bottle? Do you think it would be ready to transfer now? Then how long does it stay in bottles for? Sorry for the silly questions but I'm so confused and every instruction online is different!! Didn't realise it was so complicated :)

Basics of lagering:
primary 47-52 degrees F for 10 - 14 days
secondary drop in degrees day by day till you hit around 32 degrees F for 4 - 8 weeks or longer.
As far as straight to the bottle from primary, yes i have one in the fridge, that i will be trying today. It's been lagering for 10 weeks with priming sugar in it at bottle time.
That's the basics. Not sure where 21 - 27 comings from and that can't be C.

forgot the Increase temperature up to 62* F for diacetyl rest for 48 hours before taking the temp down to 32F.

Back