Question on hops -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Making a clone of a particular Lager lets just say it sounds like Ling Ling. The website of the beer states they use Cluster and Cascade.

After about an hour looking at all attempted recipes, most of the hop additions were, for example, Cascade for 60 min and cluster @ 15 min. Some used Cluster as main hop and some used cascade as main hop addition.

Since Ling Ling doesnt disclose how they utilize their hop additions, would there be a huge difference if i did .5 oz of cluster and .5 oz of cascade for 60 instead of one main hop addition and a second @ 14 minutes? OF course there would be more aroma for the late added one but, i dont really get a lot of hop aroma of the beer.

Cluster is primarily a bittering hop. It makes more sense to me to use just Cluster at 60 and Cascade at 15.

If you can get them open, smell them, and see which is more in line with the desired flavor. Either one will get you the bittering IBUs, though you will have to adjust the quantities, but the overall flavor will come from the later addition. Honestly, I think it may be a late addition Cluster (just based off what's in my fridge now), but not really sure.

Back