Real dumb keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviek

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came into possession of a bottom tap King Keg, for which I bought a 'Super 30' Co2 cylinder which fits on a valve on the lid of the keg. Can anyone explain to me when and how much gas to inject into the beer (which I am about to siphon from primary)?

Secondly, there appears to be no way I can gauge the pressure in the keg. Does the valve automatically adjust the pressure of do I have to buy some king of a gauge? The beer in question is a hefe, which will need a fair bit of carbonisation and at the moment I have no clue as to how to achieve this.

All help much appreciated.

Stevie

You need a regulator on the CO2 tank in order to pressurize the keg. I pressurize mine to anywhere from 10psi (serving) to 30psi (carbonating). If you had a regulator there are two gauges which shows you the internal tank pressure and the regulator (output) pressure.

Sorry,

Forget the comments above. King kegs and S30s do not need ra eg.
On the inside of the valve there is a rubber band that acts as a regulator and there is normally a safety valve as well.

The S30 is not for carbonating, it is just for keeping serving pressure and it will do it automatically.

I agrea with orfy,king kegs cannot be used at the same high pressure as corny kegs.
With my king kegs i just add 5 tbls of white sugar at keg filling time and leave a few weeks to clear and build pressure,top up with co2 as and when needed.

Back