What BJCP style would this recipe be in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi,

I made a nice ale that I really like and I'm thinking of submitting it in a competition I'll be attending soon. I'm not sure as to what style it should be submitted into. Here's the recipe:

Batch Size: 25 L / 6.6 gal
4 kg Pilsner Malt
1.5 kg Pale Ale Malt
0.2 kg Weyermann CaraHell
60g / 2.1oz Centennial (Pellets, 10.0 %AA)
Yeast: Fermentis US-05

mashed at 66C/151F
10g / 0.35oz hops every 10 minutes: 50,40,30,20,10,0
Fermented at 18C/64.5F
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

The final beer is pilsner-like color with a very clean flavor. I would describe it as an american-ale version of a pilsner. although it seems like a lot of hops, the hopping is not much stronger than the hoppiest pilsners I've tasted in Prague.
Can this fit an existing style? (pale ale,cream ale, blond ale) ?

thanks

Did you run this through brewing software? What is the IBU? SRM?

Since you used American Hops and it seems decently bitter, your only real option seems to be American Pale Ale.

The hopping schedule and hop do suggest that the final beer will have a significant american hop flavor and aroma. Not knowing the bittering, I would lean to this being an american pale ale. From the description of the beer by the brewer, it may not have enough bittering for the style, but I agree that it could still be quite enjoyable.

beertools claims:
Color: 4.66 SRM
Bitterness: 29.5 IBU

I checked the BJCP style guide, and this is the bottom range of the american pale ale style (5 SRM , 30 IBU).
The Blonde Ale style is:
IBUs:15 – 28
SRM: 3 – 6

So maybe this is the more appropriate category...

It turned out really good, one of the best beers I ever made.
I won some awards (sam adams longshot - Israel) with bigger beers e.g. belgian strong and bock, but IMHO the greater challenge is making a really good simple, session beer - where all flaws are easily noticed, and the high quality is harder to achieve. That is why I wanted to submit it to a contest.

Blonde could work if the hop flavor and aroma are low to moderate. If you feel they are moderate to high, then the american pale ale may be more appropriate. I agree that these are likely to be the most applicable categories for the beer. Make your assignment based on your palate.

Back