How long is to long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
Ok I brewed some Honey Brown a while a go and have had a lot going on and forgot that it was in there. My girl friend just asked me what I was doing with it and realized that I hadn't did anything with it. Ok so back to my question, how long is to long in the primary before it is no good?

How long has it been in there? I have left a batch in the primary for almost two months before that turned out fine, give it a try.

I don't know the exact answer to that question, but I'm sure you are fine. As already stated 2 months is no issue.

Question: plastic primary tub (assumed) with lid? Or is your primary a sealed carboy (like me)?

Your main worry is headspace / air / oxidization in an 'open' primary. But definitely, the correct answer is:

Bottle that sucker, condition it, drink it!

Never never never (did I say never?) head for the drain at any stage pre-bottling unless:

a) you smell something wayyyyy bad
b) you do a hydrometer test, and taste the sample, and want to spew
c) you see big nice whitey-yellow-green moldy blobs (even then, if you're doing some crazy lambic or using nice brett yeast, who knows!)

Always give your beer a chance, BUT: if on bottling day you taste it and don't like the taste (use imagination for carbonation effect / or a beer colder than room temp), then you MAY be forgiven for dumping. But it is your choice. Nothing gets better when it gets bottled and sits (generally----not counting meads or high-alcohol/malt beers that need to age). I'm talking "if it is gross when you want to bottle, you won't want to drink it when it is colder and carbonated"

Question: plastic primary tub (assumed) with lid? Or is your primary a sealed carboy (like me)?

Your main worry is headspace / air / oxidization in an 'open' primary. But definitely, the correct answer is:

Bottle that sucker, condition it, drink it!

Never never never (did I say never?) head for the drain at any stage pre-bottling unless:

a) you smell something wayyyyy bad
b) you do a hydrometer test, and taste the sample, and want to spew
c) you see big nice whitey-yellow-green moldy blobs (even then, if you're doing some crazy lambic or using nice brett yeast, who knows!)

Always give your beer a chance, BUT: if on bottling day you taste it and don't like the taste (use imagination for carbonation effect / or a beer colder than room temp), then you MAY be forgiven for dumping. But it is your choice. Nothing gets better when it gets bottled and sits (generally----not counting meads or high-alcohol/malt beers that need to age). I'm talking "if it is gross when you want to bottle, you won't want to drink it when it is colder and carbonated"

i cant really agree with your reasons to because some may look smell or taste pretty effin brutal right up to bottling and may still age out alright. if you look around theres stories of beers aging out of some nastiness even as lighht as bmc clones which cant hide mistakes at all.

Back