being a beer nerd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
A friend and I were discussing this today. I guess I myself and probably most on here would fall under this category. I'm still a noob but I know more about beer than I care to admit to any casual acquaintance.

We were comparing my beer nerdom to a mutual friend's weed nerdom. The guy is pretty into hydro growing. I love the stuff myself, but I just like to smoke it, really.

Whereas I can see someone being a weed nerd, I think brewing has certain immunities because its a craft with a rich tradition. When I brew, I don't feel like a nerd calculating strike temps and measuring OGs and such. I feel like my forefathers. If George Washington was a nerd, he was a nerd who could kick your ass.

Just my thoughts. Now I should get back to studying.

Beer nerb aye!
O2 and CO2 and implements of storage, dispensing, measurement, calculation, and temperature manipulation abound in my house.

Now as to a weed nerd, well there is cerainly a level of craft there. There has been an explosion of cross breeding and selective mutation to achieve certain flavors/colors/odors/medicinal effects in the last decade or two. I would say it is definitely an art in it's own right. The lack of a rich tradition is largely due to it's lack of legal status in most places. Saddly, I do not partake as it has not been kind to my head for many years.

The smell of weed makes me barf.
Hops make me happy tho.

Go figure.

On topic... Beer, movie and radio nerd.

Beer, bass fishing, baseball, movie and politics nerd.

Use to smoke the grass but homebrewing took that money away.

nothing wrong with bass fishing... I catch My fair share of Striped Bass on the beaches around San Francisco.

Ocean Fishing for the WIN!!!!

I'm not a beer nerd. I am a beer drinker. However, if being an Olympic class beer drinker makes me a beer nerd by default, then yeah. I am a beer nerd. :tank:

"NERDS!!!!" - Ogre

I'm a geek, not a nerd. Nerds have bad complexions.

Beer Geek, Computer Geek, Gun Geek, Engineering Geek.

:rockin:

I'm a geek, not a nerd.

:rockin:

Damn right.

Beer/whisky/cooking, fingerstyle guitar/drums/music in general, bicycles/motorcycles/cars, archery/chinese martial arts, recreational herbage, general sciency engineering stuff....can't narrow it down so let's just say I'm a proud geek!

Back