Corney Keg on its Side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxp1113

Reaction score
Ok, ive been looking everywhere for this and cannot find information about putting a corney keg on its side. For example, my keg wont fit in my fridge standing up, but if i put it on its side will it still work?

It will work for a little while but you'll only be aboe to get about 40-50% of the beer out of it.

In other words - no.

In a very basic description, the corny keg works by the pressure on top of the liquid "pushing" the beer out of the dip tube opening at the bottom.

depend if you mean completely on its side or slanted. Slanted willl work for 80% of the time completely on its side will work 50% of the time , and upside will completely not work 100% of the time.:D I seen some post wher a guy made a wood holder to hold a 3 gallon corny slanted on its side.

It will work for a little while but you'll only be aboe to get about 40-50% of the beer out of it.

In other words - no.

In a very basic description, the corny keg works by the pressure on top of the liquid "pushing" the beer out of the dip tube opening at the bottom.

If the dip tube is bent to rest on the side of the keg I would think you would get just about all out of the keg. The gas would still push down on the liquid whether its standing up or on its side forcing it out the dip tube . Simple hydraulics in action

depend if you mean completely on its side or slanted. Slanted willl work for 80% of the time completely on its side will work 50% of the time , and upside will completely not work 100% of the time.:D I seen some post wher a guy made a wood holder to hold a 3 gallon corny slanted on its side.

Do you remeber that post, cause i have a 3 gallon keg? That would be perfect.

On my corny's the dip tube extends to the bottom (vertical) of the conry to the base of the concave portion of the cylinder in the appromimate center keg.

Not mine The dip tube runs the side of the corny and the concave part is again on the side guess it depends on the maker of the carny.

Agreed if you bent the tube you would get most of the beer out. I'd also be concerned about the liquid against the gas-in port for the first 10-20% of the volume, a liquid safe check valve on the airline just before the disconnect should solve that issue.

I bet you could take the diptube out completely or replace with a gas dip tube and put it in the fridge gas-side down, then have it angle slightly forward and you'll get most of the beer out of the keg.

think outside the box just swap the dip tube with the gas tube. Now the gas is on the top(bottom) and the gas tube is under the beer at the bottom(top)

Well if you think outside the keg, you would just swap the beer line with the liquid line:D

As for that other thread about supporting the 3g corny on its side, I cant recall and I tried searching but couldnt find it. Basicall is like a bookshelf. The guy made it out of wood. It has a cutout of the curvature of the keg so that its sits angled. Kinda like that way some wine is stored.

here's a crude drawing of my typical corny:
corny.JPG

would have to change the pin lock fittings as the gas has 2 pins and the liquid has three....don't know about push locks never owned one

just f'kn with ya.:D

Nope you just swap them at the barb, atleast that what I was thinking when
you asked me to think. :mug:

The corny support for the 3g corny looked like a simple build out of wood (2 pieces) of either plywood or mdf. Just a jig saw and some screws.

Looked kinda like this.
keg_on_side_support.jpg

Take the dip tube abd cut about 6" off. Take a tail piece and install it onto a 6-8" silicone tube. Install the other end onto the cut diptube. The tail piece keeps the silicone tube at the lowest level of the keg no matter what position you have the keg in.

The corny support for the 3g corny looked like a simple build out of wood (2 pieces) of either plywood or mdf. Just a jig saw and some screws.

Looked kinda like this.
keg_on_side_support.jpg

as far as using that for my keg, how would i place the keg and would there have to be any modifications to it?

as far as using that for my keg, how would i place the keg and would there have to be any modifications to it?

Well, the 3 gallon Corny just leans on this support. It's nothing realy other than a way to keep the keg at an angle. Sorry , I've really tried searching for it and can't find it. It did not have its own thread, so I suspect its in a related thread.

Back