hope cone directly into glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
So I wonder if putting a fresh cone off the bine into my pint will produce a good aroma for an under hopped beer?

Anyone tried it? This would be great for those small first year yields...

I've tried it, it didn't seem to do much. A pellet, on the otherhand, will add flavor but also dissolve into muck.

you might not get flavor but you will get aroma ... just don't choke on one ask me how I know

dryhop3.JPG

Great photo - if you look at it closely you will see a skeleton with a beard coming up from the body at the lower left. And I have not had a drink yet! LOL

A pub I frequent here in Tokyo has a hop-strainer? Not sure what it is actually called... but basically, it is a bunch of leaf hops in a long tube with a spout at the bottom.... (there may be glass marbles or something mixed in to keep the hops from clogging things up)

They pour different ales/IPA's/etc down through the hops and what you get on the end is a very hoppy aroma beer. I love it.

I'm sure someone on here knows what the proper name for this is.

DFH uses something similar to this at their place. It's basically a table tap with fresh hops at the bottom. I think Sam C mentions something about it in one of his books.

I always thought it would be the coolest to go into a micro brew and have them throw a cone of centennial or something into my IPA, but do agree, it being in there at that temp and for that amount of time, it won't really do anything except make it real expensive come hop ordering time for the brewery.

I would think it would provide a nice nucleation site for co2 and thus keep a better head on the beer.

I think the best way might be to take the hop cones and give them a vigourous rub in your hands and then simply drink the beer. There will probably enough aroma on your hands to be noticible when you drink.

Kinda like when fishing with live minnows as bait while snacking on pork rinds. The pork rinds can "taste" awfully fishy!

I will have to experiment with a few these ideas after I harvest this summer....thanks all

Stone Brewing did this at the Boston Brewfest. The guy pouring asked me if I liked hops. I was a litte impaired at that point of the night but I noticed a big clumb of something fall into my glass as he finished the pour. I originally said I just saw some yeast dump in. He corrected me in saying it was whole hops. I guess that's why he asked if I was a hops freak. I think it was more of a originality thing than for taste/aroma. The thing was quite wilted by the time it got to my glass.

Back