Elderberry Beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps7117

Reaction score
My wife wants me to brew an Elderberry beer for her.

Any suggestions on proportions to use in a 5 gal batch?

I believe elderberry is related to cranberries... just my off hand thought. I remember there being a cranberry ale recipe around here somewhere.

I also could be completely wrong. I would also be interested to know how to brew something like this.

I know from wine making that elderberries are very tannic. I'd go slow, and add a few and wait a few days and then add a few more if it's not enough. I don't even have an idea of how much to start with, but maybe try a few elderberries smashed up in a beer to see what that does to the flavor before you make a whole batch.

maybe try a few elderberries smashed up in a beer to see what that does to the flavor before you make a whole batch.

I'll try that approach, Thanks! I was kinda iffy about the Elderberry because I haven't seen many recipies for it aside from wine..

Plus....I've never tasted an Elderberry.

We were thinking a Heffe-Elderberry beer as a recipie

Thanks for the replies!

Well, my wife brewed her first beer, The "Heffe-Edler-Weissen" :D

The recipie was based on a Blood Orange Heffe in the "Extreme Brewing" book.

We left out the Blood Orange and subbed with about 4oz of dried Elderberries and boiled at 20 minutes left of 60 minute boil.

Pitched White Labs WLP300.

It's fermenting like mad now......Hope it turns out O.K. :D

It should be interesting..........

Well, it turned out pretty good....Kinda like a raisin flavored heffe. :)

Were gonna give it another try tonight, It's been in the keg 2 weeks today. :mug:

As Yooperbrew said, they are really tannic! Crush fresh ripe berries and leave the skins out... seriously.

They will impart more color than taste if you use dried berries. Fresh would be best, but NO SKINS!

Did I mention you shouldn't use the skins?

I was waiting for the monty reference

I believe I tried a ale in Scotland that was brewed with elderberries, if the name comes to me I will post it.

Well there's Ebulum which is a Scottish elderberry beer from the same people who make Fraoch Heather ale.

I actually brewed something along the lines of Ebulum last night.

If using elderberries make sure they are all a deep purple. Also don't eat them raw.

I'm about to make an Elderberry Brown Ale and plan on tossing them in with about 30 min left in the boil -> when you make elderberry syrup for colds you boiled them in the water for 30 min... Bu then they should be crushed once boiled. On second thought I might decide to make them in a separate pot and then add a little later.

Back