Cleaning and Sanatizing Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC_Ryan

Reaction score
Do most of you disassemble and individually clean and sanatize your posts and dip tubes when you are cleaning your kegs, or is it enough to just make sure cleaner and sanatizer are run through both of the dip tubes and valves?

Do most of you disassemble and individually clean and sanatize your posts and dip tubes when you are cleaning your kegs, or is it enough to just make sure cleaner and sanatizer are run through both of the dip tubes and valves?

I disassemble on every 5th batch, Other than that I just rinse and run Hot Water through the tap. Then I empty out the Remaining water and mix up a warm batch of BLC or Oxi and Run through and let sit about 30 mins. Then I rinse and Sanatize.

I disassemble on every 5th batch, Other than that I just rinse and run Hot Water through the tap. Then I empty out the Remaining water and mix up a warm batch of BLC or Oxi and Run through and let sit about 30 mins. Then I rinse and Sanatize.

About the same here. Every 5 batches or so I'll disassemble. Otherwise I use some PBW for a couple hours and rinse. I have StarSan in one keg at all times. When the keg filled with starsan is used, I pour the starsan into the newly rinsed keg. I simply don't worry about Starsan sitting in a SS keg for an extended period of time.

I disassemble after every batch, it's just not that much more time consuming and I know that everything will be clean and sanitized for my next brew. I also take my faucets apart but that's just because I am a cleanliness freak when it comes to my beer.

I breakdown after each use. I used to just rinse and sanitize, but after a couple of infected kegs, now I break them down and do a thorough cleaning. It really doesn't take that long and I'll usually wait until I have 2 or 8 to do at a time. You'll be surprised at what you find inside your poppets and dip tubes.

A wrench is all that's needed.

a 'spanner' wrench in fact...is the right tool for corny post removal. maybe a little flathead screwdriver for post o-rings.

or a...1" 12-point socket (or is it 7/8"...someone help me out here, I'm at work and can't look)

I dissaemble and clean them about every 3 uses. I do take off the liquid line and run the dip tube brush through it. I clean with PBW and drop a rag into the keg to clean the sides.

7/8" 12 point box end wrench (or the fancy socket they sell online).
Long dip tube brush is nice too, but cleaning them out right after they're empty is so much easier than scrubbing a bunch of dried up gooo.

Seems like 5 or so batches is the general consensus, but between batches a hot water rinse, invert the keg and get everything wet. Vent the hot water through the gas & beer ports/tubes with the keg upside down. Drain everything, including the poppets upside down and let dry (upside down with the lid off). Then I just run iodine solution through the keg and all the tubes, then rinse right before kegging.

The drain/hose bib on my hot water heater (conveniently located near the back garage door) is a great source for really hot water as long as you keep it flushed on a regular basis. The scale and particulate that accumulates in the HWH settle toward the bottom drain. I have a short hose for hot wash and rinse that I hook up, and even made a hose end fitting that hooks up to the #4 flare fitting on the black "beer out" ball lock fitting for back flushing the keg all the way down the dip tube. The water pressure does a pretty good job of knocking out the crud, but the biggest thing with all my gear is to keep it clean right after use. It's less hassle that way, the next time I need it.

I fill my kegs with hot oxiclean solution (1 TBSP/4 gal). I then depress the poppet on the out post (fills dip tube). I let them soak for 1 hour and then invert the kegs and soak for another hour. I then use CO2 to push the solution thru the out post. I rinse three times and then use CO2 to push rinse water thru the out post. I used this procedure for several years and then read online that people actually disassembled their posts to clean. Panicked, I disassembled several posts. Fortunately I found everything to be clean as a whistle. I quit worrying and continued to clean my kegs as usual. YMMV...

I break mine down each and every time, really does not take very much time at all.
I would hate to put all that money and effort and then skimp out on the last part and not clean something very well.

i know this is an old thread but im hoping someone knows the answer...do i have to santizie the co2 lines? i havent found anything on the topic so im unsure but im setting up a NEW keggerator and this is my first time for everything. any help would be apreachiated

i know this is an old thread but im hoping someone knows the answer...do i have to santizie the co2 lines? i havent found anything on the topic so im unsure but im setting up a NEW keggerator and this is my first time for everything. any help would be apreachiated

CO2 is very clean. I would just sanitize the tube once before first use and then sanitize the post and the disconnect every time.

Back