CO2 empty already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, having just built my keg (critical components assembled by kegconnection). I've read 5 lb tanks last 10+ kegs. I just checked my pressure and it is zero for the tank pressure, and zero for each keg. This is with three kegs tapped (and more than one and a half left). That seems wrong, so is it safe to assume that I have a super slow leak? Or is there a "time" limit that is in play here (e.g., every three months)?

It's odd that I still get beer out fine, no apparent problem with pressure and carbonation still seems high.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff

You're right in assuming that you have a leak in your system. Check every joint, it's there somewhere. How long did this tank last exactly?

A tank usually lasts about 2 months for me.

This was like 3 months. I don't drink all that much, about a keg a month.

Are you force carbing your kegs. That will use up more CO2 and would probably net you about 6-8 kegs off a 5# tank. I bet you have a small leak somewhere though. Check the keg lids and posts. Could be a QD problem.

Sounds like a leak.

If there's one part about kegging that I hate, it's my constant need to check my CO2 volume. I worry too much about leaks. It's pathologic, I think.

Yeah, when I first finished my kegerator I had a leak that dumped my 10 lb cylinder in about 3 weeks, and only about 3 gallons of beer. Took me forever to find it, and now I am ultra paranoid about checking the gauge and worrying about leaks since I am still upgrading and tweaking the system.

hmmm, over 3 months...its possible they didnt' give you a full 5lb cylinder. I always weigh mine when I exchange them. it should weigh the tare stamped weight +5lbs

I got an almost empty 5 lber recently. It lasted one keg. I went back and said something and they replaced it free of charge. This one is has lasted 5 kegs with force carbing and it's still going strong.

while on the topic of how longs co2 lasts. How long could one expect a 20oz tank to last with force carbing and serving? My buddy in college used his oild paintball tanks (20 oz) for his one keg kegerator. Never asked how long. This might be an option for me untill I find the 100 bones for a 5 lber

Well, 5lbs lasts 8-10 cornies, tops. That's almost 5x as much CO2 as a 20oz tank, so I'd guess it would last about 3 cornies.

Yeah, when I first finished my kegerator I had a leak that dumped my 10 lb cylinder in about 3 weeks, and only about 3 gallons of beer. Took me forever to find it, and now I am ultra paranoid about checking the gauge and worrying about leaks since I am still upgrading and tweaking the system.

How did you find it? Spray with Starsan solution? I did that before but didn't see anything. I'll try again, it must be a pretty small leak to last three months, no?

Back