Anyone secondary or bulk age in an unpressurized corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
I got my hands on some corny kegs (ball lock) for free and I would like to use them for bulk aging. But I don't have any Co2 stuff, so I can't pressurize the headspace. Would I be better off with a carboy?

Yes you would be better off with a carboy. It's rare that a keg will seal completely without at least a few psi.

i should put these up for trade for carboys. i agree that i would be better off

Use them - You'll be fine.

Fermenting beer will produce Co2, and Co2 is more dense than air. Therefore, as long as you have some fermentation going on it'll push the o2 out. Also, the fuller the keg, the less o2 will be in the headspace.

You could hook up a simple blow-off to the gas-in connector. This way you don't have to worry about leaving the relief valve open.

BetterBottles are good too, but are you going to purge the headspace in the carboy? There's really NO difference in what you are proposing.

If you're gonna age them in kegs, you might as well prime them in it too. No point in wasting their purpose -- dispensing beer.

Plus, lighter. Handles. Light can't get at your beer.

I primary in 10 gallon antique A&W Kegs. LOVE 'EM!

I attach a gas connector to the inlet (NOT OUTLET! REPEAT. NEVER THE OUTLET. DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE :D) and put the other end of a hose in a jar of Starsan. bubblebubblebubble!

If you're gonna age them in kegs, you might as well prime them in it too. No point in wasting their purpose -- dispensing beer.

I'm not sure priming 2 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg would create enough pressure.

I would think that would take a LOT more Co2 to fill all that headspace to carbing pressure.

I know, i know! Just not able to set this all up right now. Don't have the $ but it would be awesome.

Back