Lacto BW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardinalsfan

Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I've got a Berliner Weiss going right now. I pitched a starter of White Labs Lacto yesterday and today there is nice white fluffy krausen and it's going pretty strong.

The plan is to let it go for a while to sour on it's own and then pitch my 3191 and ferment around 70*.

When should I toss in the 3191? I've read everything from 3 days to 1 week. Thanks!!

pretty sour - not extreme but I want the sour flavor to come through over everything else.

I'm guessing I just need to try it and see if I like the sourness right? Hopefully the 3191 will also help sour, what with the lacto and brett in there.

Despite the fact that White Labs doesn't advertize it, their Lacto contains 10% ale yeast. Sort of ruined my attempt at a 100% Lacto Berliner (oddly despite a hot fermentation and minimal IBUs the beer never developed much acidity).

Oddly enough, I have the PDF from the Berliner Weisse seminar from NHC open on my computer. If you are an AHA member, they are all posted along with the audio. Based on the extensive testing, it was found that pitching the lacto first, followed by the sacc, will give the most sourness. In the given recipe (which produced a very sour, and most authentic sour profile) the lacto was pitched at roughly 93F, and then 7 days later the sacc was pitched at 79F and cooled down into the 50s over a couple weeks. Note, that in order to classify this as beer, a single medium sized hop pellet was added to the boil. Other than that, no more hops!

Good luck. I'm excited to try my hand at a Berliner.

Cheers,
JER

^^^ Benefits of being an AHA member right there.

Another thing learned from that presentation, the pitching rate of lactobacillus was a HUGE factor in how sour it became.

Back