Late hopping and Boil Time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
For my next beer Im thinking of making a moderatly Hoppy Pale ale. I was toying with only doing one large hop addition of 2-3oz of Sorachi Ace at 20min left. I really want that Lemony flavor to shine and dont want the harsh bitterness people say they get from this hop at 60min. Anyways my question is since im only doing one addition at 20min could I just do a 25 minute boil instead of the whole 60min? Is their something im missing? Is their any other reason I would have to boil for 60min?

The boil does many things depending of you are going an extract or grain recipe.

Shameless copy and paste:

Requirement: Dependant Conditions
Wort sterilization: Time & Temperature
Isomerisation of hops: Time & Temperature
Protein denaturation & enzyme inactivation: Time & Temperature
Protein coagulation: Turbulence, boil vigour & time
Formation of colour & flavour components: Time & Temperature
Removal of unwanted volatiles: Time, Temperature & Evaporation
Formation of reducing agents: Time & Temperature
Wort concentration by evaporation: Time, Temperature & Evaporation

Time is a major factor in most of the above. I'd probably do a full 60-minute boil anyways. Go watch TV or something :)

No...there's no reason you'd HAVE to boil longer than the 20 minutes. Personally, I would still boil for 60 minutes and add an ounce or so at the start of the boil for preservative reasons. Also, there's a lot of other things a longer boil contributes to.

Just make sure you adjust your water for the shorter boil (if you're doing full boils).

The boil does many things depending of you are going an extract or grain recipe.

Shameless copy and paste:

Requirement: Dependant Conditions
Wort sterilization: Time & Temperature
Isomerisation of hops: Time & Temperature
Protein denaturation & enzyme inactivation: Time & Temperature
Protein coagulation: Turbulence, boil vigour & time
Formation of colour & flavour components: Time & Temperature
Removal of unwanted volatiles: Time, Temperature & Evaporation
Formation of reducing agents: Time & Temperature
Wort concentration by evaporation: Time, Temperature & Evaporation

Time is a major factor in most of the above. I'd probably do a full 60-minute boil anyways. Go watch TV or something :)
Guess I should have mentioned Its an extract brew with DME doing 4 gallon boils. Guess I'll boil for the 60min then

Yup 60 min boil will work but I would not add all of the extract at the beginning. I add 1/3 at the beginning of the boil, if I have no steeped grains or mini-mash. I then add the remainder in 10 minutes left in the boil. Some people add the extract at the end of the boil.

Yup 60 min boil will work but I would not add all of the extract at the beginning. I add 1/3 at the beginning of the boil, if I have no steeped grains or mini-mash. I then add the remainder in 10 minutes left in the boil. Some people add the extract at the end of the boil.

6lbs of DME is VERY hard to Dissolve. If I did it your way I would Basicly have to stop the boil when I add it and also risk boilovers. If I was using LME I do that though

Any time you add DME or LME you need to take it off the boil. Yes, it would have to come off the boil and then bring back to a boil. During this time you pause your timer. Or you could do what many do and just add it in at flame out, this removing the need to return to a boil. The fact is the earlier you add your extract, the more your product is going to degrade, darkening and adding a bit of twang to the final product.

Yes you are right, it is going to be harder to do, but for me it is about making the best possible product, not the easiest.

Back