Adding bittering hops after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMbob

Reaction score
Hello I have made an all grain bitter and left it now 2 weeks to ferment out. I checked the SG and it has fermented out.
I sampled it and it is not bitter enough!
Is it possible to boil some extra hops for instance 200g for an hour and pour this into the beer to make it more bitter?

search around here for making 'hop tea'....there might be some useful calculations in some of the posts. I don't think you get very good hop utilization due to the lack of wort (just water) but it does work.

Sometimes beer out of the fermenter will taste a bit bland, when carbed and conditioned it will be different and perhaps more to your liking...ymmv

After many years of brewing, I am still amazed at the changes in a beer as it matures.

Sometimes beer out of the fermenter will taste a bit bland, when carbed and conditioned it will be different and perhaps more to your liking...ymmv

After many years of brewing, I am still amazed at the changes in a beer as it matures.

absolutely can confirm this. i just kegged EdWort's haus pale ale, and found that at racking - it was lacking! after just a few days on the gas, it has a LOT more character - not as sweet, more aroma (estery), and much more bitter. kinda crazy what that co2 can do

Back