Accidentally Doubled Hops (haha)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booherbg

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So I made a brew last week with a brand new 20 Quart brew pot that my wife gave me for Christmas. I was going to brew up 3 gallons of this IPA (based on Lagunita's IPA but modified for what I had on hand. It was Sunday and I got the itch! Beer store was closed).

Hopville . "Hoptropolis IPA" American IPA Recipe

I did an all grain (I had no extract on hand) so I used the 'ol "paint strainer bag" method for the first time. Almost 10lb of grain, my biggest batch yet (I usually do 1-2G), and it went successfully!

Well at first I was confused. I added 10Q to the pot to mash, but it was obviously much higher than halfway up the pot. After the mash I collected first and second runnings, and I had something like 1.070 gravity (after adding extra water for secondary soak / second runnings) when I was trying to hit around 1.060 at 60% efficiency. I added 8Q of water for secondary soaking (laudering) but did not know how much water the grains soaked up. The pot was almost completely full with water, with more water left over. So my logic was "Hit the gravity, Brew pot is Full so that means I got 20Q of wort. I must have been very efficient (yay!) and I have enough wort to make 5G instead of 3G of this IPA. Awesome".

So I just assumed that A) My pot was actually 20Q as it is clearly labeled on the side and B) I got lucky with my mashing using this mesh bag method and got a great efficiency, much better than my anticipated 60% efficiency.

I roughly doubled the hops and decided to make 5G. Everything should have been just fine. Except that when I poured the wort into the fermenter (which by the way the brew pot was almost completely full, only about 1" clearance because I like to live dangerously) it only filled up to the 2.9G mark. What the?

So apparently some ******* mislabeled this brew pot. I've read on amazon that they sell 20Q stock pots that are actually 14 or 16Q. That has to be what happened. In hindsight, my little stove top probably could not have kept 5G rolling so I'm totally OK with this 16Q stock pot. But now I have an IPA that is double the IBU as I meant it to be. haha. I love hops so it shouldn't be a problem. Was shooting for 60 IBU, hit roughly 110IBU. Doh.

So what do you think? Will this sucker be a bitter hop rocket? I'm going to go ahead and dry hop double as well, just to keep it consistent. Either way I'm excited about it, although I would have preferred for it to have not been such a surprise. Oh well that's how these things go I suppose!

Meh, it's all a style preference. It depends in what hop strain you used (i didn't real the whole recipe), some aren't as harsh as others. Also, I read a study that the human tongue can't detect a difference in anything over 100 IBU's. So regardless, you won't notice if 102 or 130!
A mouth drying, hop rocket is good every now in then. Hopefully it comes out balanced with a bit of finishing hops!

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty excited. If I'm going to mess it up, I'd rather it be like this rather than, say, missing the gravity by 40 points :)

So this turned out to be a hugely awesome beer. Only a week in the bottle and it is already really tasty. Can't wait to see how it develops.

If it is too out of control and you absolutely can't drink it... pm me for a shipping address. I'll cover the cost! :mug:

If you're around cincy stop on over and grab one :). I'm so excited to see how it'll turn out. This was also the first time using the city water unfiltered, so i think that has something to do with how delicious it is turning out.

Back