Forgot the bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
In my second most epic brew fail, I have forgotten the bittering in my latest brew. I got to drinking and had a friend over, I put in one of my 60min hops but forgot the other, which makes up about 80% of the IBUs. Now the beer is fermenting and I'm not sure what to do.

Can I make a hop tea and boil it for 30 or 60 minutes and add it to the beer now, or am I totally screwed?

Probably.

Some homebrew stores though sell isomerized hop extract (my LHBS does). You might want to see if you can get a hold of some, and then you can add to taste.

if i were you, i would make a strong hop tea, cool it, then add it to the beer.

take 2 or 3 times the hops that you forgot to add, boil them for 75 minutes in a quart of water, then add to the beer. a quart of water will boil off quickly so you need to keep adding a little bit of water at a time to keep the same level of liquid.

It is an American amber ale. I forgot 1oz of horizon for 60 min. Which was about 27 IBUs.

+1 on Isomerized Hop extract if you can find it. It is pretty pricey, MoreBeer sells it. Make sure to get the right stuff as most of the extract I've come across requires it to be boiled.

HOWEVER, taste the beer first, you might like it as is and save yourself the trouble.

Typical KU Fan. (As stated by Mizzou Grad)

Use the Extract. But this beer is not going to taste right without the hops added. It may be a very good beer still, but I doubt it's what you were shooting for.

+1 taste the beer first, you might like it...

make another batch with higher IBUs and blend it

Back