What are the ingredients of mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honey is the main thing.

do a search on google for "how to make mead" and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info covering the basics.

-walker

Walker said:
honey is the main thing.

Water and yeast are the other two important must haves to make it

Walker said:
do a search on google for "how to make mead" and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info covering the basics.

Joe Mattioli does a beginners mead recipe (Ancient Orange and Spice Mead) that many people rate highly - search for that one maybe

My first mead was the Barkshack Ginger Mead from Papazian's book.

It turned out really great. I'd recommend that one if you like ginger.

If you brew it now it will be ready by NEXT Christmas. It'll be drinkable any time you want, but really mellowed out in a year. Fresh ginger has a real bite to it.

I have a Peach Mead in a secondary right now. Since it is not bitter I am expecting to drink some NEXT summer. I'm not certain at this time, but am thinking about 1/2 sparkling and 1/2 still. We'll see what happens when it happens.

Honey, water, and yeast have already been mentioned, but don't forget to read up on the usage of the citric acid and potasium sorbate. :D It all really depends on your ingredients.

Mead hangover == bad

I have not yet experienced one myself, but I have heard enough stories to know to avoid a mead hangover at all costs.

Actually, when I make my mead I skin it a lot.

I BELIEVE (though it may not be necessarily true) that the inpurities floating on top lend itself to the dreaded wine hangover once it's re-absorbed into the boil.

Back