So many hops, no ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer94

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a crap ton of hops, and I keep planning new recipes and they always seem to involve the same few varieties (amarillo, columbus, simcoe, cascade, centennial). I like hoppy beers (APA,IPA,IIPA) the most, but I only get to brew like once a month so I don't want to just throw crap in and hope for the best. I have a the following that I need ideas for.

17oz - Bravo
18oz - Citra
18oz - Chinook
7oz - Green Bullet
4oz - Mt. Hood
4oz - Nelson Sauvin
8oz - Northern Brewer
12oz - Nugget
21oz - Palisades
8oz - Riwaka
4oz - Sorachi Ace
4oz - Summit
17oz - Super Galena
18oz - Willamette
8oz - Warrior

I have 50lbs 2-row, 10lbs munich II, 15lbs vienna, 2-3lbs caramalt
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch
WLP007 Dry English Ale
WLP051 California Ale V
1028 London Ale
1450 Denny's Favorite 50
US-05 dry
S-04 dry
Nottingham dry
Windsor dry

Thanks!

How about a New Zealand DIPA with Riwaka, Nelson Sauvin, and Green Bullet? Mostly Pale, bit of Vienna, maybe some sugar to the mid-1.070s. Loads of IBUs, then hammer it at flameout and dry hop. Ferment with the American ale yeast of your choice.

I just did an American Bitter with Citra and Chinook (2 oz each at flameout and in the cask), you could do something similar with Citra and Bravo. Mostly pale and a touch of caramalt, to 1.040, keep the IBUs are 40 and then blast it at the end. Ferment with the Cal V or Denny's.

Hope that helps.

Founders makes an Amazing Citra Stout. I've been thinking of doing something similar soon.

I second the NZ IIPA. Bitter with green bullet, maybe another 30 min addition, than hit the KO hard with riwaka and nelsons. I would aim for 2oz Nelson and 3oz riwaka. same for dry hop. Nelsons are powerful so you would need more riwaka to show up. You will find this will come out similarly to a centennial/Amarillo combo.

I would also suggest another IPA using warrior to bitter and summits and citra to finish. Both are super powerful hops that will probably hold their hop presence longer than your average IPA.

For either IPA, I would go with something in the realm of 80% 2-row, 15% Vienna or Munich, and 5% caramalt. For the IIPA, you can add some sugar to boost gravity and dry the beer out.

Thanks guys.

The NZ IIPA does sound like a good idea.

It's hard to tell what these hops are really like with the light descriptions all over the net. I buy based on a description, but the reality is those descriptions typically are not useful. And I don't get to brew enough to do a bunch of smashes; which would be awesome.

What about the Super Galena and Bravo hops?

Back