UDS build kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I am just wondering if there would be any interest in a "UDS build kit". It would be pretty much everything needed to build a UDS minus the 2 grates and the drum itself. It would include all of the stainless hardware, the expanded steel, bailing wire to attach the expanded steel to the grate, and air control parts. Many people have trouble finding a lot of these and when they do they aren't always that cheap.

So, depending on price, would there be much interest in this? Anything else you would like to see in the kit?

I don't even know where to find a usable drum.

If you are in or around a fairly large city, which I see you are, you should be able to find a place that sells nothing but drums. You should be able to get a reconditioned unlined one for $15-30. Finding it might not be easy, but the industrial areas should have at least one company that does it.

domed lid w/ thermometer would be nice

You mean to include? The lid would make shipping expensive and drums do vary slightly in their diameter so not all lids fit all drums. As far as the thermo, I did think about that but the problem is that there are so many damn choices.

Really? I wouldn't feel comfortable using that for food.

If you burn it out really good just about anything can be used. I still prefer to use "new' reconditioned unlined drums though but if you can't get them you don't have many other choices.

I think the two things that hold most people back are finding a drum, and making a fire basket. There would probably be alot of interest in a completed, welded firebasket for a reasonable price. Although I'm sure there is some market as well for just a kit as you describe. You'd probably also want to include instructions and a step bit.

Weirdboy, check Craigslist. There is a company in Ontario that sells them for $15-20. You can also get a new one from Mcmaster-Carr in Santa Fe Springs for about $100.

Moose

Yeah I see that listing in Ontario...that's a long haul for me just to get a drum, though. I mean with traffic I'm looking at 4 hours probably.

Although, they also have food grade plastic barrels for cheap.

Not sure where I'd put a fermenter that big, although maybe I could use a couple for grain storage.

Do you ship via amazon? If so, I know someone who is interested. :D

I don't think I have enough liability insurance to be involved in sending him anything that would involve fire or burning.

I think the two things that hold most people back are finding a drum, and making a fire basket. There would probably be alot of interest in a completed, welded firebasket for a reasonable price. Although I'm sure there is some market as well for just a kit as you describe. You'd probably also want to include instructions and a step bit.

I thought about doing complete fire baskets too but because of the size I don't know what shipping would run since I would need to buy boxes to be able to fit it and then the cost of shipping too. With all the pieces and parts and the steel pre-cut it would only involve screwing together the two pieces of expanded steel and the using the bailing wire to attach it to the grate.

I would include detailed instructions too and I did think about a step bit too. I might just sell the step bits separately if there was interest in them. I can get drums very easily but I looked into it and shipping them in about $100 and I doubt anyone would want to do that.

I am not really looking to make much money off of this. I just know that most people have trouble finding the expanded steel and the stainless hardware. I could buy everything in bulk and get it fairly cheap on a per unit basis and hopefully make it easier and cheaper on most people.

I do appreciate all the advice though.

I would only use new unlined drums; a piece of mind is worth the twenty extra dollars you will pay!

I have nothing productive to say. I just followed everyone who wandered in here from the Tap Room.

I would only use new unlined drums; a piece of mind is worth the twenty extra dollars you will pay!

Most people have a lot of trouble finding a new or even a "new" refurb drum.

so expanded steel, weber grates, and mounting hardware for the grates?

And the air control parts. I am not really sure if it would make sense to add in the weber grates though. They are very redily available, I wouldn't be able to get any sort of bulk discount on them and they would increase the shipping costs. People would actually save money and be better off just going to a store and buying them or getting them on Amazon with free shipping. I could do them though if that is what people wanted but it wouldn't end up costing them a little more.

The main things are the expanded steel and the stainless parts. Most people have a lot of trouble finding them and when they do they are pricey. I have looked into it and if you buy in bulk you can save quite a bit, but you have to buy a lot to do it. Would make it much easier and cheaper for most people.

I am actually working on putting together a price sometime today to give people a better idea if they would be interested or not.

you can burn out the lining in a food grade drum right?

Yeah, and as long as it has a lining most people seem to agree that it really doesn't matter what was in it before. Personally, I would prefer it have been some sort of food product before but supposedly it doesn't matter.

I've thought about this a little more, and I think you could make a go of it. Especially since you're not looking for big profits.

You could create a website, call it something like UDSKITS.com, and sell various levels of kits, components and tools. The kit levels might be something like:

Basic: Expanded metal, wire or SS zip ties, SS nuts and bolts, Instructions.

Basic Plus: All the above, plus close nipples, caps, and ball valve.

Deluxe: All the above, plus Weber grates and step bit.

I've thought about this a little more, and I think you could make a go of it. Especially since you're not looking for big profits.

You could create a website, call it something like UDSKITS.com, and sell various levels of kits, components and tools. The kit levels might be something like:

Basic: Expanded metal, wire or SS zip ties, SS nuts and bolts, Instructions.

Basic Plus: All the above, plus close nipples, caps, and ball valve.

Deluxe: All the above, plus Weber grates and step bit.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking of doing something along those lines already but it is good to see someone else would agree with my thinking. That is something that would come a little down the line though if these did seem to be kind of popular. For now I would just one basic thing and maybe have an option to add in a step bit. I am looking into it now to see if I can get any sort of discount or good prices on the bits.

And your right, i'm not really looking to make much money off of these. Just a few bucks to cover my time and effort off each kit. I am thinking if I can make it easier for people and save them money all while making my self a little money it is all win win.

I'm interested given price considerations.

Cool. I should have at least a pretty close idea later today. I won't know shipping though until I get everything in my hand, but it will be actual shipping costs. I am going to try and use USPS flat rate but I kind of doubt it would fit.

Interested to see what you come up with Dataz. I'd like to build a smaller one for camping. May go with a kit if the price is even comparable, just to save the time running to the various places to get everything. I use place for the expanded steel, another for the SS hardware and a 3rd for the ash pan. Ash Pan, did you have a source for an Ash pan or would that not be included?

Interested to see what you come up with Dataz. I'd like to build a smaller one for camping. May go with a kit if the price is even comparable, just to save the time running to the various places to get everything. I use place for the expanded steel, another for the SS hardware and a 3rd for the ash pan. Ash Pan, did you have a source for an Ash pan or would that not be included?

I see what you did there!!!! Apparently they are on backorder and held up in processing somewhere in ohio.

As of now I have no plans to include ash pans but in the future if I do different levels I probably would.

The small flat rate box is 9"x11"x6" and the large box is 12"x12"x6". You might consider something like a 12x12X12 square fire box design with an expanded metal bottom. The 12" square base would be wired to the sides about 1.5" from the bottom, giving proper air space below and 10.5" high basket sides.

Considering five 12x12 pieces per kit, you'd get about 6 kits (plus 2 squares) per 4x8 sheet of expanded metal.

The small flat rate box is 9"x11"x6" and the large box is 12"x12"x6". You might consider something like a 12x12X12 square fire box design with an expanded metal bottom. The 12" square base would be wired to the sides about 1.5" from the bottom, giving proper air space below and 10.5" high basket sides.

Considering five 12x12 pieces per kit, you'd get about 6 kits (plus 2 squares) per 4x8 sheet of expanded metal.

That is something I didn't even think about. I was just going to have two 24x12" pieces that would be bolted together then formed into a circel and then attached to a weber grate with the bailing wire or SS zipties. That is how I did mine and it works great but I would consider sending a prebuilt coal box if there was interest in it. Of course I would want to charge more for that since it would involve a considerable amount more work on my part.

Check what you metal supplier would charge to make the cuts for you, it might not be that bad. You wouldn't have to pre-build it, just give the the five squares and wire.

Check what you metal supplier would charge to make the cuts for you, it might not be that bad. You wouldn't have to pre-build it, just give the the five squares and wire.

The place I am getting it from is just a wholesaler and wont do anything less than full 4x8 sheets and won't cut to order at all. I could get it from a place that will cut to order but the metal itself is much more expensive because I would be paying retail. I guess I could just have people build it themselves and just send precut.

What do you think would be easier for people to build, a round one where you just bend it in a circle and attach to a grate or the square one? I don't see it being much different. The cost would still be a little higher for the square one though since it would take more metal. Overall cost would go down for people though since they wouldn't have to get a normal charcoal grate too.

Thanks for all the advice.

Menke, do you already have a UDS?

Yes. Just recently built. All this rain has kept me from being able to use it yet. I'm hoping to give an inaugural smoke this weekend.

It seems most people build the fire basket as you describe, I was just trying to find a way to reduce shipping costs and hassle by using the USPS Flat rate priority mail boxes, and still give your customer something easy to build.

They also have a 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" medium flat rate box that is only $10.70 to ship up to 70lbs.

Yes. Just recently built. All this rain has kept me from being able to use it yet. I'm hoping to give an inaugural smoke this weekend.

It seems most people build the fire basket as you describe, I was just trying to find a way to reduce shipping costs and hassle by using the USPS Flat rate priority mail boxes, and still give your customer something easy to build.

They also have a 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" medium flat rate box that is only $10.70 to ship up to 70lbs.

I do like your idea and was wondering if you had one is that what you used? How well does it work? I am seriously considering going that route.

While it would take more metal it would mean that people wouldn't have to buy the grate and it would make shipping cheaper. I also wouldn't have to include as many bolts so that would cut the cost down some too.

My only concern is that it may be a little small. I think I still have some expanded metal lying around - time and weather permitting, I'll make one and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

My only concern is that it may be a little small. I think I still have some expanded metal lying around - time and weather permitting, I'll make one and try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

That and securely tying everything together without welding were my two biggest concerns. I am looking at metal zip ties now and even bulk they aren't cheap.

Back