Question: Using a fridge as ferment chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
What can I do? SWMBO must be obeyed, right? This morning she said, "With the kids at college I think we can do without the fridge in the basement after the holidays. . .so if you want to do that fermentation thing you can."
:mug:

Looks like there's a Johnson controller headed for my stocking this xmas
:)

So here's the question: It's a full size fridge w/sep. freezer above. I assume if I use the controller to maintain low-mid 60's in the fridge I assume the freezer won't freeze. Will I be able to use the freezer like a fridge? (cold drinks of the malty variety around 40-50deg?) What should I expect from the freezer section?

Mine usually stayed around 40° in the freezer side. If it has contols for freezer colder/warmer, that is usually a flap that directs more/less air into the fridge and will help with equalizing temps.

Also, when you add a warm carboy to it, or open the door frequently, it's going to run more trying to get the fridge down to temp, which will cause the freezer side to freeze sometimes.

Thanks KC. Hoping I can use the top freezer section for a couple cases of cold brew while fermenting below. Guess I'll just have to wait & experiment with it.

Just a wee bit excited to have a dedicated, temp controlled ferm. . .no more wet towels & moving fermenters all over the house - Whoo hoo!

SWMBO is a keeper!

Back