Idea for portable keg dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I am currently brewing my first batch of beer in a lot of years, got a keg (gonna get more) got a 7lb CO2 bottle on the way. Still got more to get (regulator, hoses ect.) Of course since I will pretty much never drink these at home but will take them to friends houses I am looking forward to how I will do that.

I like the rolling cooler ones but the cost of 3 gallon kegs makes it cost prohibitive.

I am definetely leaning towards some kind of trash can set up. I really like the set up of Biermunchers rolling kegerator and if I knew for sure we were keeping our pick up I would build a similiar one. But without a truck transporting one, even just the empty trash can that big could be a problem.

So I have been thinking of a smaller trash can. Bring keg, trasch can, CO2 all seperate then put together on site. Then even if we end up with a Prius I could still fit everything.

Last night at TJ Max I saw a trash can for $30 similiar to the one in this link:

http://www.kitchensource.com/trash/un-r1530e.htm

Sure if I look around I can find it for less than $30, home depot, lowes, wal-mart ect.

You pull the top off and there is a plastic liner with an inch or so of airspace all around it. So my idea is to fill that cavity with spray foam for insulation. With the keg inside the plastic liner you'd have a three inches or so around the keg free for ice.

Attach some sort of paintball tank holster to the back of it like so:

http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BTBOTTLEPOUCHTAN&click=2

And attach a single tap tower the top of the dome and I think I would have a pretty portable, but yet elegant keg system.

I may look at finding a little bigger one that would allow me to fit the tank on top in the dome.

What do you guys think?

My trashcan kegerator fits laying down on the backseat of my Toyota Corolla.

DSCF2640.jpg

It holds three kegs, and a 5 pound co2 tank.

Hmmmm I do like the idea of having more than one keg. I guess I gotta go look at trash cans ;)

I guess I just gotta go and get what stikes my fancy and will fit in a car and go with it.

My trashcan kegerator fits laying down on the backseat of my Toyota Corolla.

View attachment 16875

It holds three kegs, and a 5 pound co2 tank.

That looks like a great approach. Maybe you could squeeze in a paintball tank and mini-regulator?

Seems finding a mini CO2 gauge that isn't uber expensive (besides those ones Ilisted which I don't know if they work or not) is impossible. Any ideas?

Can I use fittings with a barb on it on a normal CO2 gauge and the tank that would let me use a hose between the tank and gauge to allow me more flexibility to position the gauge as opposed to screwing the tank right to the gauge?

I mean between the tank and the regulator. Anybody?

Can I use fittings with a barb on it on a normal CO2 gauge and the tank that would let me use a hose between the tank and gauge to allow me more flexibility to position the gauge as opposed to screwing the tank right to the gauge?

Yoop-

You are once again my hero! My wife won't even entertain the idea of a kegerator. I dare not even ask if i can covert the old recycling bin we have

Well, Bob LOVES that rolling kegerator for parties and loves showing it off.

I got the idea from Biermuncher, but I didn't want to spend $ on a paintball tank when I had a 5# co2 cylinder already. lschiavo provided the wood and tap handles, and you guys helped me find the faucets and shanks. lschiavo and I have joint custody of the portable kegerator. It's pits and pieces we both had (his gas line and regulator, my co2 tank, my faucets and shanks, his tap handles, etc). I think the total cost was $75 or so, just for the trashcan and misc parts.

I made one a little while back out of a chest freezer. I got one for free (non-working) off of craigslist. A lot of sawzall work had it chopped down so that when turned on it's side it held two kegs upright and a 5 lb CO2 tank. I permanently mounted the "lid" onto the chest after cutting it down, then cut a new lid in the top, (which used to be the side). It's metal, 2" insulation, and solid as hell, but only weighs about 40#.

Now, here's why I went that route. I, too, was worried about how to transport it. I went and bought some 2" square tube, ($15), which would fit into my hitch receiver. Two pieces of angle iron and a case of beer for my neighbor with a welder, and he welded me a hitch carrier, (like this), which perfectly fits my freezer. So, put freezer on hitch, add kegs, CO2, and Ice, and I have my own version of a rolling kegerator. Unlike BMs though, my rolling kegerator is 4wd, 230 HP, and seats 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats awesome! pics anywhere's?

I made one a little while back out of a chest freezer. I got one for free (non-working) off of craigslist. A lot of sawzall work had it chopped down so that when turned on it's side it held two kegs upright and a 5 lb CO2 tank. I permanently mounted the "lid" onto the chest after cutting it down, then cut a new lid in the top, (which used to be the side). It's metal, 2" insulation, and solid as hell, but only weighs about 40#.

Now, here's why I went that route. I, too, was worried about how to transport it. I went and bought some 2" square tube, ($15), which would fit into my hitch receiver. Two pieces of angle iron and a case of beer for my neighbor with a welder, and he welded me a hitch carrier, (like this), which perfectly fits my freezer. So, put freezer on hitch, add kegs, CO2, and Ice, and I have my own version of a rolling kegerator. Unlike BMs though, my rolling kegerator is 4wd, 230 HP, and seats 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have searched high and low and a mini regulator that aint $100 or more doesn't seem possible. So I think my little Bullet can idea is dust. When I get the normal sized reg I will go to a store and measure a paintball tank and then the can and see. But if I can't fit everything super smoothly inside the bullet can than I will go with some other can that will allow me to use two kegs.

A 9 oz can do more than two. I read someone had a 3.5 oz one and it would do a 5 gallon so I assume a 4 oz can do one no problems.

Back