Woo hoo another first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Touristbob

Reaction score
Just finished my first all grain, a Scottish wee heavy. May have been a bit ambitious for my first but it was for a friend. Mashed 15.8 lbs of grain and hit a mash temp of 153 on the button. Fly sparaged with 170 deg water and according to my calc I got a 67.9 efficiency post boil. Had a little problem with boilovers due to the amount of wort collected (7.25 gals) for a 90 min boil but collected 4.5 galons and topped off to 5 before taking my gravity reading. color looks good and it smells great. All in all, a great first experience that I wanted to share since SWMBO could care less.

OG ended up being 1.075 so its gonna be a nice big beer. :ban:

Craig

Congrats on the first successful AG! It sounds like it mostly went off with out any hiccups? I was pretty excited after my first AG batch...greater accomplishment I think (in my mind). Enjoy the new found skills... Once you hone your system and brew day schedule, the beer only improves!

Nice. Congrats on your 1st :mug: There's no turning back now.

I've got a good stock of extract batches in the bottles, and will be starting my conversion to AG over the next month. I admire your ambition with the wee heavy; don't think I'm going that far with my first batch. I'm going to keep the training wheels on for a few batches, probably start with a MW Amarillo Ale kit, a beer we enjoy, and one I've made in extract enough times to give me a good baseline to compare to AG. We just returned from visiting our son and his family on the East coast, and I was able to have some hands-on doing an AG batch of ESB. I got a propane burner at a good price, now it's time to start the cooler conversion. Wish me luck.....

Back