Reduce haze after in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrad

Reaction score
So I was a little tipsy last night while brewing my 3rd kit beer. A Kolsch from Northern Brewer. I totally forgot to chill the hot wort (1.5 gallons of it) before adding it to the primary with 3.5 gallons of room temp spring water.

good news: yeast is active and happy. glass primary did not shatter.

bad news: it's a nice light beer and i'd like it as clear as possible. this probably did not help.

so my question is what can I do/add now? or later . . to reduce chill haze? after it's already in the primary I don't think I can add moss?

thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, who cares if its a bit hazy... however, a good cold crash after fermenation is done would help a lot!

Save the drinking for the clean-up process. Makes all that work a little more fun.

To roughly quote either Palmer or The Joy of Home Brewing, "I could tell people who are worried about haze to drink out of an opaque cup, but that would be facetious, so I won't."

I understand though- I'm not going to enter contests with my beer, it's just for my own consumption, so it's strictly cosmetic, so I shouldn't care- right? But every time I pour a hazy beer, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

A couple of things you can do here. Look into the gelitan finings and the big one would be cold crashing.

If you can move it to a secondary and cold crash it in the frig for a couple of days, it will help a lot.

You could get crafty and create a label Dark Kolsh :)

If all else fails, serve it only in frosted glasses.

Back