Amazed at the excellence! - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to spot this at one of the better liquor stores in my area....Wow! I think I have a new favorite beer. I haven't ever had a beer so well balanced and tasty. In fact it might be the most delicious beer ever made! my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It's got to be the pinnacle of Oatmeal stouts, right guys?

so who has a clone recipe - or a recipe that rivals SSOS?

Everything by SS is awesome. I've tried to replicate their pale ale many times, but no luck. Their oatmeal stout is definetely one of the best out there. My feeling is that it's not so much the ingredients - it's their process (slate lined open fermenters) and proprietery yeast strain. Also, you can't get a "fresh" SS beer in the states (that I've seen). While shelf aging will harm a lighter beer with cardboard flavor, my opinion is that it really helps add a complexity to the darker ones. If you google "Samuel smith clone", the oatmeal stout is always the one that pops up....but I don't think you will be able to match it too closely, especially without a long aging period....

+1. Fantastic Beer.

Not a huge fan of the Winter Welcome, but it was decent. Also enjoy their Nut Brown Ale, but the Oatmeal Stout is by far my favorite.

+1 for the Oatmeal Stout and the Nut Brown.

White Labs WLP037 is supposedly the Sam Smith's strain, or at least that's the inference from the 'Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast' name. It's a seasonal Premium Strain that the website says is available Sept-Oct, so now's the time to look for it and try a clone. If you get it right, make sure you post the recipe! :mug:

Yup. This is the beer that made me go "Wow! THAT'S what beer is supposed to taste like!" Great beer. I plan on making Jamil's OS in the next batch or two.

Samuel Smith's XXX (fill in the blank) is all very, very good. As far as I'm concerned, they're in a class by themselves, measured alongside all the other UK beers I've had.

This is my favorite beer. Too bad I can not find a clone of it that is decent. Guess I will have to experiment and come up with my own clone!:rockin:

I've used the recipe on hbt before and currently have a keg of it on tap. Not quite the samé but still darn good

There's a strawberry ale that they make, I can't remember exactly what it is. We see it in Whole Foods on rare occasions. My wife loves it and I have to say that it is pretty damn tasty. I don't know if they use strawberry extract, but if they don't, they've performed magic because there is a lot of strawberry flavor in there.

When i was at college i would do the grocery shopping for my mu,always making sure that i made enough of a saving to be able to buy a taddy porter.

+1 on the SSOS. It is one of my top 5 favorites. I recently brewed an all grain oatmeal stout, and while it came out great, it's no SSOS.

I like the pale lager out of the bottle. Tastes plain and too dry in a glass though for some reason. :cross: I also like the oatmeal too. Trader Joes has some of the ss beers right now in 4 packs for I think 6 bucks, and the pint sized bottles are in a 3 pack with a glass or two included for like $10.

They have an Imperial Stout that is just unreal. I haven't seen it in the store recently, but when I do I might just blow some money on getting like 5 or 6 of them.

Yum... and knocks you on your ass too. No wonder why the Russian Imperial Court loved this style so much!

SS is my favorite oatmeal stout, by far. There is actually a really good one at the local brewery here in town, too...from Brewer's Alley.
I just started one up with the following
0.2 carapils
0.2 roasted barley
0.5 flaked barley
0.5 crystal 60L
7.5 maris otter
1.0 instant oats (toasted @ 375 for an hour)
0.5 chocolate

accidental protein rest @ 140 for 20 min, mash @ 154 for an hour.

Pitched with S-04...its been 48h though and so far no visible signs of fermentation. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I really want to drink this :)

They have a hard to find, yet delicious organic chocolate stout. It is world class. Better than Young's double chocolate. If you find it, definitely pick one or seven up ; )

They have a hard to find, yet delicious organic chocolate stout. It is world class. Better than Young's double chocolate. If you find it, definitely pick one or seven up ; )

That does sound delicious..>I believe we have a store down the street that sells it, too. Do you know if that's just nibs or what?

Whoa! That must be one hell of a brew, because the first time I had the Young's on tap I thought it was simply incredible, and I still do. Otoh, the canned version is a pale comparison that lacks the richness of the kegged brew, so if that's what you're measuring against, the bar is a lot lower...

Cheers!

Yes I believe they use nibs in this particular brew. As far as comparing the two, I am talking bottle to bottle comparison. I have not had Young's on tap and they don't have samuel smith organics on tap anywhere in the states as far as in concerned.

^ If you can ever find the Young's on tap, go for it. It really is a wonderful experience. My sons bought me the canned version, and it was a huge disappointment...

Cheers!

Just gave this a try a few nights ago. Went back and picked up a couple more.
Also got the Organic Chocolate and it is amazing. They actually have them at the grocery store down the street!

Just tasted youngs double chocolate - very good...very. Good. I meant to get the organic but picked up so,e more SS oatmeal instead. Also picked up southern tiers double milk stout. Not a fan of the bite right at the end. Is this a characteristic of having lactose in the beer?

Back