Window A/C for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I have 2 small window A/C units not being used....5000 btu

I have made a fermentation chamber out of styrofoam AKA "Son of a" type...

Could I not hook up the A/C unit and rig up some ductwork to chill the chamber instead of ice buckets?

I thought about doing that and rigging up a dryer vent so it would exhaust enough until it reached temp and shut off, then the vent would close....

What do you guys think?

Otherwise I may rip apart a small fridge to get the unit out of that....

Thanks

Chad

Some people have hung small A/C units in the side of their fermentation chambers. It's mainly a matter of proper support.

Seems like I remember some thread where someone took one of those, cut a hole in his closet, installed the A/C in the hole and then after adding some insualtion to the walls he had his own walk-in fementation closet. You should do that.

As everyone else said, it will work just fine.

You could use the thermostat built into the AC as well, as long as the evap is in the chamber.

Take care to support it though, those things are heavy and that foam is not particularly sturdy. Best bet would be to use a chest of some kind and add insulation, rather than the hassle of building your own frame.

Well, my attic is framed up rough, so I would just build a frame, then insulate it, then set the A/C on a small table or the floor, and run ductwork to it......I would have a drip pan to catch any condensate from the unit.....

I like the idea of a closet style, so I may do that.....I just need to do a little planning
on the size I want

Unfortunately, it was a cheap A/C, so it does not have a thermo, just on off, cool to cooler temp gauge...

I will set up my Powers 535 controller and a relay to run the on/off......

It's true, I think your avatar might be too hot. :p

I'm planning the same thing. I have a small, concrete-block-wall closet at my disposal. It has electric fairly nearby, which I can tap into for the A/C unit. I plan to add 1" or 2" of insulation to the three walls, and build a fourth wall from 2x4's and plywood. Frame, insulate, mount the A/C unit, and voila! a walk in cooler is born.

you guys should read that whole thread ChshreCat posted.

I have a walk-in that's a little smaller than the on Deep Six built but it's the same concept.

Mounting an AC without externally venting can easily be done (that's what I did) but you have to be REALLY REALLY REALLY (is that enough "really"s?) that you don't get any moisture around the face of the AC unit or your A/C unit coils will freeze up solid.... unless you make some very specific modifications to address it.

trust me.

My wife wants me to build a walk-in like that for more than beer. A big cooler like that his handy for produce among other things. And in the summer when it gets unbearably hot, just take in a lawn chair and a book. :D

Yeap - next summer, I predict I'll spend a lot of time in the cooler.. um.. "supervising" my beer, and hence be able to keep the other A/C units in the house turned to a more reasonable temp. (SWMBO likes warm rooms, I do not).

Here's mine... like I said.. a little smaller than Deep Six's... and a lot more primitive... but it keeps my beer at 40 degress year round no problem. It's been up and running for a little over a year now I guess.

I wired the fan on my A/C unti to blow 24/7/365 (it's a tiny motor and we haven't noticed any increase in our electric bill) and then the compressor is wired toa temp controller and only kicks on when the temp gets above hte setting.

The reason for this is as soon as the compressor kicks off again, the fan still running instantly defrosts the coils. I went nuts trying to get my walk-in as air tight as possible and it's wrapped in 6mm plastic to make sure I get no moisture in it at all and I still get a tiny bit of frost on my coils

Cooler.JPG

Back