Critique my recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McAle

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a honey porter. Since real honey will mostly ferment out I'm going to use honey malt but I'm not sure how much to use so it is not overpowering. Any comments would be welcome.

Batch size: 5 1/2 Gal.

Fermentables:

3.3 lb. light LME
2.0 lb. light DME
1.0 lb. Crystal 60
10.0 oz honey malt ???
4.0 black patent
2.0 oz
Also 8.0 oz malto-dextrin for texture and mouth feel.

Hops schedule:

1.5 oz Kent Goldings @ 60 min.
0.5 Fuggles flameout

Yeast:

Wyeast London Ale 1028

Expected results (according to Brew Pal) OG = 1.047, FG = 1.012, ABV = 4.6%, IBU = 24.

I used actual honey rather than malt, one pound worth and it turned out pretty good!

I find that straight honey while upping the ABV does not lend a lot of flavor. Honeymalt on the other hand, tends to add a lot of honey flavor without adding much in the way of ABV.

Along with the honey malt you could also prime with honey. That way some actual honey gets in there somewhere ;)

The honey would simply be converted by the yeast. Same thing that happens in the regular fermentation vessel

The honey would simply be converted by the yeast. Same thing that happens in the regular fermentation vessel

Right. My suggestion was simply a way to get some actual honey somewhere in the recipe, not that it would impart great honey flavor. Personally, if I'm going to name a beer after a particular ingredient I prefer to have the actual ingredient in there somewhere. Just my preference, though.

Good idea, Sheldonsteen. This batch is going into the keg. How do I figure out the correct amount of honey to use? I'm using BrewPal but it doesn't have a calculation for using honey as priming sugar.

Thanks again for the response everyone.

Back