No hydrometer for first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinDanKugel

Reaction score
I didn't actually open up the tube that the hydrometer came in until it was time to check the wort. The hydrometer was shattered (during shipping) and I wasn't able to get it replaced until it was too late..or is it too late? I'm really quite confused about testing the batch, and when, especially after its been in the carboy... I didn't want to risk infecting what's there.. And what's the point in testing it (for og) after the fermentation has begun? Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Not to worry at this point. Brew on and check the next batch for OG and FG. The hydrometer is just a check to see your brew house efficiency. You may have to add/subtract grains/DME/LME to get it to the desired level of alcohol.

Have fun and sanitize everything!

cheers,

If it was an extract kit and you had 5 gallons going into the fermenter you can safely assume that you hit the proper OG. Wait for at least 2 weeks and then you can check to see what it has dropped to.

Honestly, if you're using an Extract brew, you don't have to worry about it.

Testing for OG is important for finding efficiency and knwoing your beer is done and calculating ABV

Leave your beer in the primary for 3 weeks and you should be fine. For extract brewers using a hyrometer is just practice. Also your OG is calculate before you start fermentation, if you dont' test it before fermentation, all you can test then is the 3 day rule to see if fermentation is done.

As far as getting it out of carboy, a wine thief will certainly work, for me though I saved 5 or 6 bucks and just got a turkey baster.

Checking the final gravity of a batch is the best way to check to make sure it is ready to bottle/keg. I do not bottle a beer unless I get the same hydrometer reading for 3 consecutive days, and I verify that reading is close to my estimated final gravity (FG)

To take a sample, I use a sanitized turkey baster thingy. I do not return the sample to the fermenter.

Brew on!

Thanks! That's what I was hoping. It was an extract Irish Red.. I did everything according to the directions. The fermentation started within a day and started settling after 3 - 5 days.. I let it sit 14 days total, at around 68 degrees, then bottled it. It's been bottled for 11 days now with no bottle bombs.. I popped one open to check the carbonation and its getting there. Here's a pic

image-3848734753.jpg

Looks pretty good man. Honestly, until you are doing all grain you don't really need to worry about OG. Even then, it won't kill you to not check it. The only reason you need to know would be to compare it to your FG and get an approximate ABV. IMO the FG is more important because it lets you know if your beer is finished fermenting and helps you prevent bottle bombs.

Looks pretty good man. Honestly, until you are doing all grain you don't really need to worry about OG. Even then, it won't kill you to not check it. The only reason you need to know would be to compare it to your FG and get an approximate ABV. IMO the FG is more important because it lets you know if your beer is finished fermenting and helps you prevent bottle bombs.

Agreed but is still wait to check FG. It's the difference between bottle bombs and not.

Back