Mock Lager with WLP036?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I'll be brewing 2 batches today, one of which is a mock Schwartzbier (the other a standard D-Alt). Both will be fermented at about 60F with WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt yeast for 2 weeks the. Layered for another 2+ weeks. Anyone ever do this? I've wanted to try for awhile, and the beers I make using WLP029 are very lager-like. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated!

Alright... well I'll consider this a personal journal ;)

I just pitched the WLP036 into both fermenters- the wort was 55F after sitting in the chamber over night. Here goes!

ufergus said:
any update?

My D-Alt and mock Schwarzbier (the lager-esque beer) are currently tapped. The Schwarz is mighty tasty and both certainly benefitted from a couple weeks cold conditioning. However, I'm more a fan of the Kolsch strain, namely WLP029, so next time that's what I'll use.

image-3841815972.jpg

WLP036 is a much cleaner fermenting than WLP029 with respect to esters. I find WLP36 is better if you are looking for a more classic lager taste in a ale. That being said, I too love WLP029. I've go a beer fermenting with it right now. When I want a true lager, I use lager yeast as I have the set-up to use them. If I didn't, I'd probably use WLP036.

I should mention that I am a fan of light fizzy beers and brew a lot of them so I really appreciate what a kolsch has to offer and also appreciate the differences that can be created in pale lagers, and lager-like beers

pjj2ba said:
WLP036 is a much cleaner fermenting than WLP029 with respect to esters. I find WLP36 is better if you are looking for a more classic lager taste in a ale. That being said, I too love WLP029. I've go a beer fermenting with it right now. When I want a true lager, I use lager yeast as I have the set-up to use them. If I didn't, I'd probably use WLP036.

I should mention that I am a fan of light fizzy beers and brew a lot of them so I really appreciate what a kolsch has to offer and also appreciate the differences that can be created in pale lagers, and lager-like beers

I use 029 a lot and I have to disagree- fermenting cool, I perceive 029 to be much cleaner than 036.

Well,here's a curve ball for ya. Or rather,a happy accident. I brewed a partial mash pale ale that with the ingredients involved,I thought would be a more English-like pal ale. Not so. 4 weeks in,I took a final FG sample. It's ready to go 3 days & a lot of nit picky cleaning later.
The interesting part was the taste of the sample. It was light gold colored,& had a tiny bit of sweet,light malt quality to the aroma. It tasted like some sort of Euro pilsner with that bit of sweet ice beer malt thing on the back. With lime & some other flavors usually associeated with pilsners or lagers.
Can't wait to see what carbonation brings out 3-4 weeks from now.
Now,while I was planning an ale that thinks it's a lager for a couple months now,I didn't expect this. Also,it used two old 7g Cooper's ale yeast packets re-hydrated. They were from '10 & '11. & it was a 5 gallon batch in a Cooper's micro brew fermenter designed for up to 6.5 gallons. So lots of head space. It also started at 66F,& held rock steady at 22C (71.6F).
The only fruity esters I could detect were in the form of that bit of ice beer malt sweetness on the back. I hope this comes out like it's looking to.
I used;
2lb rahr 2-row
2lb marris otter
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb carapils
2lb Munton's plain extra light DME
1lb Munton's plain light DME
6 gallons of spring water
2-7g packets Cooper's ale yeast,rehydrated @ 90F 30 minutes
Late additions with the DME were also used
Mashed 1 hour between 151-159F
1 hour boil with biab partial boil of 3G & NZ hops;
.5oz super alpha @ 60 min
1oz motueka @ 20 min
1oz pacifica @ 10 min
Chilled to 70F,then chilled water top off to 66F for pitch.
OG 1.043
FG 1.010
primary 4 weeks,3 days

Back