Critique my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmichael

Reaction score
This IPA will be my 5th batch and my first IPA It's also the first I've come up with on my own. I've been trolling the threads and taking bits and pieces and this is what I came up with. I want a citrusy floral IPA that's got good bite to it but not scrap your tongue bitterness.

6 lbs light LME
3 lbs pilsner DME
2 lbs crystal 40L

1oz warrior at 60
.5oz simcoe at 20
.5oz centennial at 15
.5oz simcoe at 10
.5 oz centennial at 5
1oz cascade at flame out

1oz cascade and 1oz centennial dry hop 7 days

WLP 060 American Ale

Brew Pal shows it at 71 IBU, 14 SRM and 7.4% ABV

Any suggestions?

I would drink it. Looks good to me. Ran it through Beersmith, well within all of the ranges. I just made an IPA with .4 oz biscuit malt, and I'm really digging the backdrop because of it, might even up it to .8 next time. So if you like that, something to consider.

I tend to prefer 60, 10, 5 and Flame out additions in my IPA's. Best part about formulating your own recipe is the trial and error of really dialing it in Warrior is a great bittering, Personally i'd cut out the cascade and use Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo. Maybe something like:

1 oz Warrior at 60
1 oz Simcoe @ 10
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Centennial @10
.5 oz Simcoe @5
.5 oz of Centennial @ 5
.5 oz of Amarillo @ 5'
.5 oz Simcoe @ FO
1 oz of Amarillo @ FO

I'd scrap the crystal and use munich and/or victory for the specialty malts. At the very least, I'd suggest cutting it down to just 1lb or less.

bruin_ale said:
I'd scrap the crystal and use munich and/or victory for the specialty malts. At the very least, I'd suggest cutting it down to just 1lb or less.

Specialty grains are what I'm trying to figure out at this stage in my brewing career.

What is the reason you favor Munich / Victory in favor of crystal?

That much crystal will make it a little too sweet IMO I would not use over 8 oz. Partial mashing Munich would be a good way to get malty flavors without so much sweetness. There is also Munich extract.

I also need a critique for my ipa. I want bright low bodied crisp ipa with good hop taste and aroma. So here is my recipe.

5 Gallon - 20 litre
OG: 1,054
IBU: 39,6
COLOR: 7
ABV: 5,4

4,00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3,0 EBC) 80,0 %
1,00 kg Vienna Malt (6,0 EBC) 20,0 %

20,00 g Hallertau Magnum [9,40 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 3 22,9 IBUs
10,00 g Cascade [6,40 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 4 3,9 IBUs
5,00 g Citra [13,10 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 5 4,0 IBUs
10,00 g Cascade [6,40 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 6 2,8 IBUs
5,00 g Citra [13,10 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 7 2,9 IBUs
10,00 g Cascade [6,40 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 8 1,6 IBUs
5,00 g Citra [13,10 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 9 1,6 IBUs
20,00 g Cascade [6,40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0,0 min Hop 10 0,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [13,10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0,0 min Hop 11 0,0 IBUs

20,00 g Cascade [6,40 %] - Dry Hop 10,0 Days Hop 12 0,0 IBUs
20,00 g Citra [13,10 %] - Dry Hop 10,0 Days Hop 13 0,0 IBUs

Step temperature 67 celsius - 153 fahrenheit for 60 minutes

Boil 60 minutes.

I also changed water profile for these brew. Ca 112, Mg 12, Na 14, SO4 159, Cl 45, HCO3 45

These is my first batch with these profile. I am also fan of BrewDog Jack Hammer beer, so i want something similar. Hoppy, dry, crisp, bitter....

Thanks!

Virtus, this is thread hijacking.

OP, I think your recipe's good. If you like sweeter IPA, keep the caramel at 2#. If not, drop it 1# and add 1# high melanoidin malt (Vienna, Munich, Melanoidin, Aromatic, Honey, ...) which will give body/mouthfeel without so much sweetness as caramel malts. I would get all the 15 minutes and less additions together at 5 min. No point in stretching them out. At that time, you want aroma, and that's what you'll get if you drop it all at 5 min.

Happy brewing!

Thanks, i didtn't want to open new post so i used these. I will know for next time. 20 percent vienna malt is already in recipe. I will add 1 percent crystal 60. Sou you think that addition at 10 minutes will add enough flavour if i cut 15 minutes additions and add all at 5 ?

This IPA will be my 5th batch and my first IPA It's also the first I've come up with on my own. I've been trolling the threads and taking bits and pieces and this is what I came up with. I want a citrusy floral IPA that's got good bite to it but not scrap your tongue bitterness.

6 lbs light LME
3 lbs pilsner DME
2 lbs crystal 40L

1oz warrior at 60
.5oz simcoe at 20
.5oz centennial at 15
.5oz simcoe at 10
.5 oz centennial at 5
1oz cascade at flame out

1oz cascade and 1oz centennial dry hop 7 days

WLP 060 American Ale

Brew Pal shows it at 71 IBU, 14 SRM and 7.4% ABV

Any suggestions?

really close to my first couple of batches I think they came out pretty good for a rookie..Give it a shot

This.

I never like to add more than 1/2lb crystals in my IPAs. It interferes with the hop character. I'd also suggest adding 0.5-1.0 lb sugar to dry it out even more for maximum hop goodness.

Last week i brewed just with 80 percent pilsner and 20 percent vienna, mashed at 153F. So what can i expect from these grain bill and mash temp? Beer must be light in colour and dry. But i think that mash temperature is too high. There is also a lot of hops, its an ipa style.

Last week i brewed just with 80 percent pilsner and 20 percent vienna, mashed at 153F. So what can i expect from these grain bill and mash temp? Beer must be light in colour and dry. But i think that mash temperature is too high. There is also a lot of hops, its an ipa style.

Sounds like a nice beer!

Latest posts

Back