Caribou Slobber yeast ?Quest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
Northern Brewers Caribou Slobber suggests Wyeasts 1332 Northwest Ale - The problem is.. My LHBS only carries White Labs. I tried to search,, and found only one replacement for White Labs. Its the British Ale WLP005. Anyone have ideas on what would be a great White Labs yeast suggestion for this kit? I would rather buy my yeast locally.. this way i can bring a six pack cooler with me to transport the yeast back to my 30 mile location. :)

Thank you,
Dave

Is Carribou sloober a clone of moose drool? If so, my clone for moose drool from austin home brew came with wlp002. I also listened to Jamil's Can you brew it, and when they spoke with big sky brewery, I believe they mentioned using 002 as the yeast for that brew.

i think 002 is a close runner up for this type of extract kit. i can make a starter.. just wondering how the 002 yeast will change the taste of this kit, since it originally calls for wyeast 1332. im sure my lhbs will have the wlp002 tho.

tftr..
Dave

Well today was my first taste. This kit is Great !! I love the taste. Not as clean of a finish like most of the dry yeast i use. This yeast has something to it. I must say.. if anyone gets stuck like i did with the LHBS not carrying Wyeast, try the cross ref. and get the equal, White labs 005 yeast as a sub was a perfect fit for this kit.

Wish I'd waited to brew mine....did so on the 9th and opted for the Windsor yeast. I'd read online it was fine but its too late now. I'm not a huge fan of brown's but heard so much about this, I had to try it.
Either way, it's beer and it's gonna get drunk. No use worrying as it's done.

Drinking a caribou slobber as I type. Its only my 4 th batch ever and by far my favorite. You guys will love it. 3 weeks primary and 3 weeks in bottle, although it was rather tastey after 10 days in the bottle.

Back