East Coast-West Coast Brew Off WTF?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened was unfortunate but some of you guys need not be such whiny little bitches about it. Sure you are out a few dollars that sucks and i agree. The constant whining about not getting your beers back to me is unbelievable just make more.

lol. Good points, guy. Wanna send me some homebrew on your dime?

Sucks that some of you got hosed in this comp. It was certainly a good lunchtime read though.

FYI, from my recollection, there is not going to be another HBT comp. That is, unless someone else organzies it. I think it became too big of an event for Yooper to handle by herself. In addition, there was way too much harsh criticism of every detail to make it an enjoyable process for her.

I'd love to see another HBT comp.

Sucks that some of you got hosed in this comp. It was certainly a good lunchtime read though.

FYI, from my recollection, there is not going to be another HBT comp. That is, unless someone else organzies it. I think it became too big of an event for Yooper to handle by herself. In addition, there was way too much harsh criticism of every detail to make it an enjoyable process for her.

I'd love to see another HBT comp.

I think I remember reading that too. One of those "this is why we can't have nice things thread" with a bunch of people whining.

Anyone want to try and start an official thread to kick it off?

I don't want to see this thread stained by that topic.

I'd love to see that. I may be able to help with the East coast side this year. My homebrew club is recognized now and our LHBS has been getting involved in a lot of competitions and might be willing to help with this one.

The further I get along in this thread, the more I keep picturing SNL and the "Buckwheat Sings" skit only its Art singing "Munce. Tice. Fee Tines A Mady..." or ""Wookin' Pa Nub in all da wong paces. Wookin ' Pa Nub."

On a similar but different note, that is why you always enter a single, separate bottle full of urine under a false name. Think of it as 12 ounces of homebrew contest cancellation insurance.

81bbuckwheat3.jpg

Airborneguy said:
I'd love to see that. I may be able to help with the East coast side this year. My homebrew club is recognized now and our LHBS has been getting involved in a lot of competitions and might be willing to help with this one.

You gotta think any decent size LHBS with website sales would be drooling at the thought of hosting a comp here...

You gotta think any decent size LHBS with website sales would be drooling at the thought of hosting a comp here...
The east and finals were held at the Hopshack last year. He closed his store Friday evening and Saturday all day for the east region judging. I'm not sure how many hbs would interrupt their day to day operations to host a comp.

I was actually considering asking a local beer bar that's always involved in the events around here if we could hold it there. Maybe we should start a thread about this? After all, we don't want to confuse Art's awesome competition with HBT's low-brow antics ;)

I was actually considering asking a local beer bar that's always involved in the events around here if we could hold it there. Maybe we should start a thread about this? After all, we don't want to confuse Art's awesome competition with HBT's low-brow antics ;)

Adobe?

Just stumbled upon this thread. Airborneguy (and everyone else that got caught up in this ridiculous excuse of a competition) I am sorry you had to deal with this. However, I am literally crying and almost pissed my pants from laughing so hard, particularly at Art's actual emails. You just can't make this stuff up.

Btw I just triple checked my spelling and grammar - I'm super paranoid now. Reminds me a bit of the stuff over at DamnYouAutocorrect.com

Don't be Art:

Just stumbled upon this thread fragment. Airborneguy (and everyone else that who got caught up in this ridiculous excuse of for a competition) I am sorry you had to deal with this. However, I am literally crying and almost pissed my pants from laughing so hard, particularly at Art's actual emails. You just can't make this stuff up.

Btw text talk I just triple-checked my spelling and grammar - I'm super paranoid now. Reminds me a bit of the stuff over at DamnYouAutocorrect.com fragment again

JLem, you make great beer, but you write like Art! ;)

Personally, I'm done with all contests. I entered a local contest that in the past had been a BJCP/AHA contest. Not so this year. I could have wiped my ass with the scoresheets and gotten better feedback. 2 of 3 judges assigned scores with a minimum of comments (1 wrote one sentence on the whole sheet, the other didn't write anything but a score). The third judge was a professional brewer, so his feedback was good.

Then I follow it up with this abortion of a contest. I'm out $20 for shipping and three beers. And I'm not holding my breath I'm going to get score sheets at all, and I am CERTAIN they will be worthless if I do.

In the end, I brew what I like - and the only person that has to judge my beer is me. I get better feedback from a couple of fellow homebrewers that I work with than either contest at this point.

insert image that SwampassJ posted that I did not want to repost again because the picture is big because it had to be for awesome-ness effects

I just went to that forum, and it appears your post is gone. Did you delete it? Or was there too much drama, so they deleted it?

Assuming that was your post

Personally, I'm done with all contests. I entered a local contest that in the past had been a BJCP/AHA contest. Not so this year. I could have wiped my ass with the scoresheets and gotten better feedback. 2 of 3 judges assigned scores with a minimum of comments (1 wrote one sentence on the whole sheet, the other didn't write anything but a score). The third judge was a professional brewer, so his feedback was good.

I've entered the Sam Adams "Longshot" competition a few times and a BJCP sanctioned state fair competition this past year. Each time the feedback I received was similar to what you describe.

At the same time, I feel that receiving feedback relative to a larger audience (like the Sam Adams one) is really valuable, even if some of the score sheets seemed like they were "phoned in." I enjoy my brews (and actually won my category -- 23 -- at the state fair event mentioned) but unbiased feedback is always a way to force us to get better at our craft.

I get rave reviews from my friends, but then again, they're getting free beer.

Latest posts

Back