Should I cap it????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumbler

Reaction score
So ive got this jaom that's about 80 days old. I racked roughly 20 days ago and there hasnt been activity for quite some time. Which is to be expected but my question is... since activity HAS stopped, the cap in my airlock has settled and im wondering should I just leave it alone or cap but risk losing what little trapped Co2 I do have. Thanks in advance

When you talk of losing co2, it makes me wonder if you're after a sparkling (I.e. fizzy) mead? Better to answer that first before we proceed.

Sorry...I guess I was a little vague. No the only reason I'm worried about loss of Co2 is because its still young and needs to sit and the LARGER THAN IT SHOULD BE headspace I have should still have some trapped Co2 preventing oxidation. With my airlock deflated now I'm concerned that it might let infection in ect... Which is why I'm considering capping but not sure. Maybe doing nothing in this case is better. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"

ahhhhhh. Okay. I see.

CO2 is heavier than air - if you're gonna age it for a while and don't wanna buy campden tablets, I'd say don do noffin.

A piece of sterilized aluminum foil, adequately smashed about the mouth of the bottle, would suffice in the short term. Or how bout some saran wrap and a rubber band? Inelegant, yes, but it will let your mead fart out however slowly with minimal chance of maiming you and still keeps the bugs out.

Awesome...I appreciate the advice. I've never used campden tablets so the thought never really crossed my mind but now that u mention it, it raises another question. Once I use these tablets does that eliminate the chance of infection by haulting yeast production so fresh air would no longer be an issue. Just curious because I believe my yeasties are all way beyond their glory days anyhow.

Back